Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:02 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Here in mid Maine the grub damage showed up from late April until now. There are yards every where with much damage. This year our front yard took the hit but not the whole thing, only about and 8 by 10 foot area. Then the crows come in and turn over the soil to get to the grubs. It's a mess. So far we are debating what to use before we put on new top soil and seed that area. I guess milky spore will be out because of experiences of previous posters. We my try the Grub EX. I have heard that the grubs prefer dryer areas and will leave the wetter ones alone.. I guess that must be true as they never touched the back, which is wet.
There are two type of grub control products. One kills the grubs as they are present and feeding. You would use that after seeing damage. I believe that one is called Dylox. The other one is a preventive, kills the grubs before they get to the feeding stage, and it has to be timed correctly or it will deteriorate before the grubs appear in your lawn. Beneficial nematodes are another option, but research them well, because when you see how you need to apply them (at night, in the rain is best!) you may opt to just use the Grub-X. If your grub feeding season seems to be over or is coming to an end, you can do nothing, or you can use the Dylox. The use a preventive product in late summer. That would contain Merit (imidacloprid), but you might alwo want to know that's the chemical most closely linked with pollinator deaths.

We always spot treated for grubs, treating areas that had been hit before. They seem to appear in the same spots from year to year. We have never treated a whole lawn for any pest, insect or weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden