Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Whew. You need to start with a good stiff Manhattan. Your post is just crazy.
If I drank, I would probably take you up on that idea!

Quote:
How can you cut down the same tree twice?
The tree grows back from the stump.

Quote:
How can you be very good friends with people who, without telling you it was coming, cut down a tree on the line?
They have many endearing qualities. My husband has lived here for 35 years. He and the husband are good buddies. They golf, hunt, fish, etc., together. He knows my husband hated the tree too because it was thorny. What he didn't know is my husband liked everything else about the tree.

Quote:
If the tree they cut down is 'just going to grow back', what is the problem?
It takes over 10 years. Eventually it won't grow back. The mulberry tree eventually stopped after it was hacked back a zillion times.

Quote:
If there is a tree in your view, how can you have a worse view once the tree is gone?
The maple tree is one that grew from a misplaced seed. It's multi trunked and thin like a birch. It's off to one side. This other tree was bigger and overpowered the maple. There is a hole in the lilac bushes down low and a hole above it where the tree was located. The other tree is much smaller and over further on the property line.

Quote:
It is virtually impossible to kill a lilac.
Lilac leaves grow back very full each season--even in the summer after you trim them, although you lose the bloom the following spring. The idea that you were left permanently with bare branches is hard to fathom.
I'll take pictures. What happens to those lilacs is a crime.

Quote:
Go on the intardent and put in your criteria: sun loving, 12' tall, six feet wide, deer resistant, drought tolerant, etc., and get a list. Keep winnowing that list until you have a half dozen ideas. Then visit your nursery center to see what is available within your budget.
I'll do this. My budget is unlimited because that's how fed up I am.

Quote:
Finished that cocktail yet? May I have the cherry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Well hmmm

As I suspected always more to the story.

Photenias would be perfect for this application.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My husband has lived here for 35 years. He and the husband are good buddies. They golf, hunt, fish, etc., together. He knows my husband hated the tree too because it was thorny. What he didn't know is my husband liked everything else about the tree.

Ohhhhh........so when hubby gets home, at least half the household is going to be ecstatic.

(Sounds like the offending tree could have been a Washiongton Hawthrone?)

Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
LOL It is kinda funny though. Close friends but you can't come to an agreement where they keep that stuff.
I know! What's worse is I think my husband was in cahoots! What's that say about my marriage?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Hope the landscaper can give you ideas, but it's going to be tough to get something that is an instant fix. Or at least expensive.
We're going to have to give up the walkway. My husband will be difficult about it because that will mean walking all the way around the other side of the patio to get to the mailbox. I know nothing will be an instant fix but it needs done. If I had done something 15 years ago when I wanted to, I wouldn't be having this problem today. My husband was against losing the walkway and I figured it wasn't a battle worth having. He understands that I have decided it is a battle worth having and he doesn't have a say this time. LOL

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Photenias would be perfect for this application.
I just googled that. It's pretty and works for my hardiness zone. I hope the nursery has it. How fast does it grow?

Quote:
Ohhhhh........so when hubby gets home, at least half the household is going to be ecstatic.
He's more indifferent. I think he fears showing joy.

Quote:
(Sounds like the offending tree could have been a Washiongton Hawthrone?)
None of us know what type of tree it is, or rather WAS. I looked at google images of Washington Hawthrone. It can't be that because this tree didn't flower or have fruit.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
I have nothing but sympathy for you Hope. My neighbor to the left has levelled two grand trees (one perfectly healthy) in the past year for no good reason. His back yard is now a complete eyesore. He just doesn't have any respect for nature or the environment. He works from home, but usually from his idling truck in the driveway (so he can run the heat or AC). Maybe he wants his young kids to develop asthma from the exhaust.

Meanwhile my neighbor to the right pressures me to take down one of my oak trees because she is inappropriatly terrified that it will come down on her house during a storm. I have all my trees looked-at by a professional annually and he says it is safe and sound.

This is in a neighborhood made nice in large part because of the trees... so it's a sore subject. Anyway, good luck with your situation...

Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Maybe they were worried about the roots damaging their foundation. We had to have 2 trees taken out for that reason this year

Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I'm confused - they cut down THEIR tree, THEIR bushes, etc.? If so, they have every right to do so.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
OMG Hopes Bulldog was KIDDING. Please know this was a big joke of his. Red Tips are prone to all sorts of diseases and problems. PLEASE DON'T

and Bulldogdad---shame on you. Not everybody gets your jokes . Now go in the corner and say 100 times "I will never recommend red tips again".

Just remember Hopes, anything which is touted as fast growing is also short lived so don't fall for it. They usually are weak stemmed and not worth having.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I learned long ago to NOT depend on the neighbors' plantings for my enjoyment.

They can do whatever they want with their landscaping... after all, it IS their yard.
We have altered our yards to have what we want.

Sorry you are gong through this though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden