Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 03:00 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,721 times

Advertisements

Basically my questions is do the PLANTS care whether you selectively hand trim or use hedge trimmers.

For more than a decade I've selectively hand trimmed my flowering shrubs. I did that too with my dozen boxwoods but I keep them in a square shape and it took hours. Then I discovered the hedge trimmer yeah! I just didn't want to take HOURS over DAYS, using hand ciippers But I read somewhere years ago the hedge trimmers tear up the plant and make it look hacked -- that hand trimming is better.

Well a little bit of info is a dangerous thing so all these years I've hand trimmed.

Well today my landscaper asked if I wanted him to trim my weigela. I said sure why not. Well NOT thinking, I thought he'd hand trim it. Duh, he went and got his hedge trimmer. So of course I gasped and said I always to it by hand. He said "no, this is OK." I ask if it's bad for the plant he said "no it will come back just fine." He's been doing work for me for years I let him do it.

Of course, it doesn't look like what it does when I'm done taking off a branch here and there. The entire shrub is trimmed down....blunt cuts all over. It doesn't look hacked or destroyed or anything like that, I've just never seen it looking like this.

So have I been wasting my time all these years? Could I have just used the hedged trimmers and hacked away. OK, of course "hacking at it" is a bit too strong. But that was the first time "my baby" had been hedge trimmed after being selectively (lovingly) hand trimmed a branch here and there since being planted a decade ago.

I'm HOPING to hear that at least my hand trimming and shaping has made a difference in 'training' the shrub.

But I can take it, be honest.....I've been a sucker, right?...I could have, and should have, been using the hedgers from trim number one, right?. Because I also hand trim my euonymus and my fire power nandina. And using my hedge trimmers I could be done in half an hour! Yeah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,722,636 times
They're your bushes you can prune them any way you want.

Personally, I hate power hedge trimmers, they just chew the shrubbery to bits. And when they get into woodier parts of the plant which don't cut easily, the hedge trimmer twists the wood and damages the branches.

I think they're best used on plants you don't care much about, like boxwoods. If somebody hacked up my nice weigela with those things, I'd be pizzed.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
It may look ugly for a few weeks because you are shredding some of the leaves that stay on the bush, but other than a slightly more higher threat of disease, it won't hurt it. It does save a lot of time when shaping for a bushy appearance.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:48 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Bottom line - your plants couldn't care less and after they leaf back out you will never know the difference, but as stated above it is not what you see when you give them your own tender loving care.
One problem with hedge trimmers is that they usually are not kept sharp. Most people (as with the one who trimmed your plants) thinks that as long as the trimmer chews through the stuff, that's all that matters.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,721 times
Well, if the PLANTS don't care...I guess I'll be hedge trimming them from now on. The time it will save will be INCREDIBLE! So much for the "care" I've given them all these years.....oh well.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
I think problem with power trimmers is that type of cutting encourages leaf growth only on the exterior of the bushes (like a shell). Eventually, you get a hollow plant structure. While hand trimming if you go in deep where you want to encourage branching out will allow more interior growth.

So I also think power trimming is ok for plants that will come back fast and you don't care about (like boxwoods). But you can go back in afterwards with a hand pruner and make deeper cuts here and there.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:40 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Plants do care. Using a trimmer will shear the tips of the branches/leaves. This has the potential to leave shredded ends. When the ends are shredded they are more likely to either dry out or become infected by bacteria or fungi. Some plants are very tolerant to this abuse. Others are not.

When you use hand clippers each cut is very precise and does minimal damage, so healing is quicker and the likelihood of tip damage is much less. The result is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden