Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:11 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,190 times

Advertisements

I knew a guy in Ohio that actually build an 8' high ENCLOSED chicken-wire cage (in other words, closed in on the top as well) over his garden.

It worked, but was very cumbersome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM

738 posts, read 999,363 times
This year, we installed a Scarecrow motion activated animal deterrent that blasts the little buggers with a jet of cold water as they approach the veggies. A fence wasn't an option, so we just paid the money for the Scarecrow. So far, we've had NO problems with animals in the garden.

Tree rats almost drove my poor husband insane one winter so I just purchased a squirrel-proof bird feeder. Every once in a while they'll try to get into it, but it doesn't last long. And once they jump down, they just become "cannon fodder" for this granny with a gun...

RVcook

Old 08-01-2014, 02:59 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
During squirrel season you could shoot fifty of the little buggers and they would invite one hundred to their funerals! As long as there is food available; squirrels will be there.
LOL.. Very True.. Might be a territorial thing with them. When a few are gone, others move in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I love squirrels, and feed them regularly. My neighbor tells me since I have moved here and begun feeding them, the squirrels have left his fig tree alone.

To me, that's a win-win.
That's the other yet risky trick.. Feed them in another area of the yard. Problem with that is.. Once they taste a tomato they might not go to the nuts. LOL Also, you have to keep feeding them daily and more than just one in many cases.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:19 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's the other yet risky trick.. Feed them in another area of the yard. Problem with that is.. Once they taste a tomato they might not go to the nuts. LOL Also, you have to keep feeding them daily and more than just one in many cases.
The problem with trying the 'feed in another area' trick is that food turns into more baby squirrels. Whether it is an abundance of garden food or 'kind hearted' animal lovers; squirrels breed when the picking's are easy. Eventually; there are simply too many to be distracted anymore. Then they come after any available food in the neighborhood (including the neighbor's fig trees or whatever).

This year will be the third year in a row that I cannot pick any fruit off my five mature apple trees and four mature pear trees. I wonder if the kind hearted squirrel feeders next door would be willing to pay for my time spraying and pruning - as well as the bushels of fruit that I did not pick? There is no accountability for 'nature lovers'.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:24 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Air gun and cooking pot are the best cure.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
We have great success with a well planned electric fence in addition to the wire fence.

Alternating hot and ground wires near the ground do the trick if one is willing to go that far.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM

675 posts, read 1,700,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVcook View Post
This year, we installed a Scarecrow motion activated animal deterrent that blasts the little buggers with a jet of cold water as they approach the veggies. A fence wasn't an option, so we just paid the money for the Scarecrow. So far, we've had NO problems with animals in the garden.
Please please please provide a photo of this - or better yet, a video. Where did you find it? Sounds like a good Father's Day present for next year...

Old 08-02-2014, 02:50 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribechamy View Post
Please please please provide a photo of this - or better yet, a video. Where did you find it? Sounds like a good Father's Day present for next year...
Google!

Here's couple Youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4feEceifGMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2WFy9OFqY

Old 08-02-2014, 04:13 PM

675 posts, read 1,700,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's super cool! Although not as cool as what I imagined, which was an actual scarecrow aiming a high-powered squirt gun.

Thanks for the link, looks like a great option for the veggie patch!

Old 08-09-2014, 03:26 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
If you're interested in catching squirrels, I've had pretty good success with peanut butter.

A bucket half full of water with sunflower seeds floating on top also works quite well. Just put a wooden ramp off one side for them to walk up and jump in. Sprinkle some sunflower seeds around the base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden