Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 22,896 times

Advertisements

I have a beautiful Natchez crepe myrtle. This is its second year. I bought it from a nursery and they planted it. It has grown well and looks healthy. Last year it had many large clusters of buds, but the buds didn't open. I thought maybe this was just because it was the first year.
It is now mid-August and again I have the same problem. Large clusters of buds but not blooming. The ones I planted this year on either side of it are blooming. Does anyone have an answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:36 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Are they all the same age?

I am giving your thread a bump, because I have the same question. I bought two, same size and age. One JUST bloomed for the first time last week, the other still hasn't bloomed. I am frustrated, my neighbors all have Crepe myrtles and even their tiny, baby ones are blooming before mine! Mine are healthy otherwise, and growing at a nice rate...

Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I'd throw myself on the mercy of the nursery where you bought it. Ask someone to come over and look at it. Either they can reassure you that the tree needs more time, or else help analyze the problem.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:21 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Be sure and don't crop the top of your CM. Many of these yard guys think they are suppose to in the fall and it can ruin a good tree. Let it grow like a normal tree, you might prune some of the lower shoots.

This doesn't answer your question but I had to throw it in. Some people believe it makes more blooms but it will not.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 22,480 times
Should my newly planted crepe mertyle bloom in the fall?

Old 11-19-2009, 06:55 PM

149 posts, read 548,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illean byrd View Post
Should my newly planted crepe mertyle bloom in the fall?
No, it should bloom in mid to late summer and in the fall, loose its leaves.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster View Post
No, it should bloom in mid to late summer and in the fall, loose its leaves.
It really depends on what the poster means by fall and where he/she is. There are some very late blooming species for the deep south that, if planted in a cooler zone, might be blooming now. There are new blooms on a few around here.

Crepe myrtles don't need much fertilizer. Is it near the lawn? Has it been limed somehow? Are there septic leach fields in the area? Lots of reasons for why one is not blooming and others are. They also bloom on new growth, so you might want to cut the tips from your branches next spring forcing it to put out lots of new growth.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:30 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
ARE the plants in full sun for most of the day...Mine are and they always bloom, even though we have pathetically poor soil. Every few years, if we cut them after blooming, we'll get a second, albeit smaller "show". I live in Florida however...I'm not sure where you are?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:29 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardow View Post
I have a beautiful Natchez crepe myrtle. This is its second year. I bought it from a nursery and they planted it. It has grown well and looks healthy. Last year it had many large clusters of buds, but the buds didn't open. I thought maybe this was just because it was the first year.
It is now mid-August and again I have the same problem. Large clusters of buds but not blooming. The ones I planted this year on either side of it are blooming. Does anyone have an answer?
Here's a look at our blooms this past year...
Attached Thumbnails
my crepe myrtle won't bloom, help!-sdc10149.jpg  

Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
CM's in this part of TX are going dormant and losing their leaves. They bloom best in the heat and if I recall, 90 degrees and up is when they bloom best.

I'd like to repeat to not crop the top of CM's in the fall or winter. This does not help them bloom in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden