Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

I was out in my garden over the weekend, not planting anything or even watering (we had plenty of rain this summer) ... but ... just pulling weeds ... and more weeds.

I haven't been that attentive to the back yard this year and the weeds started to take over.

Here are a few I hate. I hate them! Yes, I know a "weed" is just a plant growing in place you don't want it to grow and that so-called weeds often have beneficial attributes. Some of these are invasive, however and are choking out native plants.

Okay, here's my list. I want to read your list. Maybe we can compare notes!

Potato Vine or "Air Potato" (Dioscorea Batatas) - this aggressive vine is just growing everywhere! "Heart" or "arrow" shaped leave and wee little brown "potatoes" growing on the vine. I hear they're actually edible.

Plantain Weed (Plantago Major) - common in lawns. In order to pull it up you got to get a firm hold of most or all of the leaves at the soil line. I hear the leaves are edible too.

Poke Weed (Phytolacca Americana) - I hate this one most of all. It produces deep purple berries that can stain everything. If you ignore it, you will discover they grow into small trees in just a few weeks!

Porcelain-berry (Ampelopsis Brevipedunculata) - despite the pretty sounding name, the berries don't look like porcelain but rather like grayish blue or purple beads. An aggressive vine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I use landscape pro weed-mat and it's rare to get an weed.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:59 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Meh... I don't bother identifying my weeds.
I just yank anything that is where I do not want it to be.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
When I found out pokeweed was native I decided to let it grow. Mine turned really pretty colors last year. I can't ID all of my weeds. The ones I like are jewel weed, pokeweed, burdock...maybe some others I'm missing.

I hate bindweed and...guess who used to think porcelainberry was wild grape? It took me forever to identify it. I thought I had grapes. The berries are edible, though and at least one nursery sells them. I agree it is noxious.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
All of them.

Although today I discovered a wild sweet autumn clematis in my vegetable garden - I'm going to be transplanting that to cover a trellis that had to be cleared when the rose climber developed rose rosette disease. A couple years ago I found a bunch of bluebells growing in the vegetable garden. They, too, were promptly transplanted.

Oh, and pokeweed is useful if you want to dye anything purple.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 08-25-2014 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
I grow my plants so close together I can't see the weeds! That said, I do have a fairly new bed with newer plantings with spaces between them. Purslane and prostrate knotweed are right at home there. I like to weed so it's not an issue for me to dispatch them regularly.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 7,096 times
I never thought of learning the names of the weeds! I know that some of them might be beneficial, but I just considered them stealing the water from my veggies so I get rid of them as quickly as I can. I like to use hay on top of newspaper in the walking areas of my garden during the rainy season to keep them down. Other than that, pulling weeds has become my past-time.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I have a lawn service and they transferred bentgrass to my lawn, which compared to the other grass looks very dense. I however, am happy it is green and I'm hoping I have a prolific transfer of bentgrass to the remainder of the lawn.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:55 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
I don't know the name of most of the weeds in my yard (south of Atlanta) but I know we have nutgrass, some kind of clovery stuff, and something that looks like little mimosa trees. I don't know why we couldn't have a system where the deer would totally pig out on weeds, and hate hostas. Seems like a good system to me.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:08 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
The top 6 in my yard and pasture are:

Bindweed - chokes off everything
Canadian thistle - very sharp thorns
Cocklebur - sticks to everything
Horsenettle - pretty flowers but thorny
Jimson weed - poisonous, I've seen a little of it in the pasture
Pokeweed - some parts have good uses but some parts are poisonous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden