Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 05:49 PM

16 posts, read 17,989 times

Advertisements

First time home owner, not sure what items should I need to buy as a home owner.

The most obvious items to buy is:mower, water garden tube, Snow shovel, carpentry-related items(drill, saw, etc).

Can someone give me a list of items to buy?

Attached photo: what do people usually put inside the little storage? Can a reel mower be put inside during winter cold weather?

Very excited to own the first house, but it seems there are a lot things to do than renting an apartment.

Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Garden garage-fx8415402_28_0.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 AM

4,200 posts, read 3,420,204 times
Congratulations. It's a beautiful yard!

You may only need a snow blower if you don't want to hire someone for snow removal. You could also hire a lawn service, at least for a while, so you can settle in and don't get overwhelmed. That way you could wait for lawn mowers to go on sale and compare features, etc. if you don't want to hire those services you'll also need a way to remove autumn leaves. A leaf blower, rakes, bags for the leaves.

Read up in books and on teh innerwebz on maintainance aspects of home ownership. Ortho used to publish excellent books on those subjects. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 17,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Congratulations. It's a beautiful yard!

You may only need a snow blower if you don't want to hire someone for snow removal. You could also hire a lawn service, at least for a while, so you can settle in and don't get overwhelmed. That way you could wait for lawn mowers to go on sale and compare features, etc. if you don't want to hire those services you'll also need a way to remove autumn leaves. A leaf blower, rakes, bags for the leaves.

Read up in books and on teh innerwebz on maintainance aspects of home ownership. Ortho used to publish excellent books on those subjects. Good luck!
If you own a house, what do you usually store in the little "house" in the back yard? Mower, and what else?

I can simply buy a reel mower.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 AM

48 posts, read 126,377 times
Beautiful yard!

You'll probably want a lawn mower and maybe a rake. I tend to mulch my fall leaves(run them over with a lawn mower), but it looks like you may have too many leaves with all those trees.

For next season, you can look into weed control and feeding the lawn. That's one thing I wish we'd known to do with our first house.

Otherwise, just enjoy the empty space in your garden shed... I predict it won't last long. There is always something to fill it.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:00 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,008,728 times
For the most part I would buy things as the need arises.

You'll definitely need a mower, rake, snow shovel, and hose. I'd hold off on more specialized things until you're more sure of what you need. You don't want to over or under buy.

Is English your second language? A "water garden tube" is a "hose", and that "garden garage" is a "shed".

Old 09-08-2014, 09:51 AM

177 posts, read 278,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
For the most part I would buy things as the need arises.

You'll definitely need a mower, rake, snow shovel, and hose. I'd hold off on more specialized things until you're more sure of what you need. You don't want to over or under buy.

Is English your second language? A "water garden tube" is a "hose", and that "garden garage" is a "shed".

Thanks. Yes, English is my second language.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:52 AM

177 posts, read 278,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmg View Post
Beautiful yard!

You'll probably want a lawn mower and maybe a rake. I tend to mulch my fall leaves(run them over with a lawn mower), but it looks like you may have too many leaves with all those trees.

For next season, you can look into weed control and feeding the lawn. That's one thing I wish we'd known to do with our first house.

Otherwise, just enjoy the empty space in your garden shed... I predict it won't last long. There is always something to fill it.
Thanks.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,917,191 times
you'll probably want some pruning shears and clippers to trim the plants. lovely yard!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,405,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA888 View Post
If you own a house, what do you usually store in the little "house" in the back yard? Mower, and what else?

I can simply buy a reel mower.
As opposed to a fake one? LOL

Old 09-12-2014, 03:32 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,093,487 times
There will be all sorts of gardening and yard tools that will end up in your garden garage. (That sounds prettier than "shed", don't you think?)

What we keep for working in the yard are: the lawn mower, several rakes, hedge clippers, pruning shears, a tree saw, a machete, several shovels, a fruit picker, and small hand tools such as a small hand trowel and clippers. There's also fertilizer, seeds, slug bait and such things. And a wheelbarrow and several large buckets. Hoses, sprinklers and pink flamingos. A herd of pink plastic flamingos, but we only put them out for special occasions.

Furniture is also nice in a garden. Places to sit and tables and such for books and drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden