Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times

Advertisements

It is about that time of year again...bulb ordering time!

I still have a lot of garden to fill with flowers. This spring, I realized...I need more Spring bulbs.

I'm still planning my order and trying to be frugal by necessity, but here are some of the ones I enjoyed most last spring:
1. Hyacinths - toxic, but smell great.

2. Tahiti daffodil - This one is gorgeous! First year I've tried it, but I don't know if it will come back. It doesn't seem to naturalize, either, but it is the prettiest daffodil I've ever seen.

3. Crocus - These came with the house, so I don't know what kind they are. They're the earliest flowers in my yard. Mostly purple and yellow.

4. The "somewhat" perennial tulips - These have been perennial so far. I think I have a red darwin hybrid and a yellow triumph, and a red and yellow darwin that have returned for the past couple of years. I love my ONE surviving red tulip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:15 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,355,142 times
My favorite tulip has always been 'Princess Irene'. I'm going to order some this week. I bought bulbs that looked like Irene (on the package) last year at Lowe's, and they ended up being a real garish red and yellow, not at all like I expected. Just look at this beauty...
http://www.tulipworld.com/Images/pro...ra/118170E.jpg

Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I like them all. I never plant any because I can't decide which ones I like best.

But seriously, I have tulips, jonquils, croci, snowdrops, bluebells, and hyacinths, and varieties of each. My favorite are the "black" tulips; when I moved from Ohio to Pennsylvania, I dug them up and brought them with me.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
The Dutch Bulb catelog and some great iris. I am still deciding which ones I want. There are many that are two colors and are just eyepoping. I have iris now, with one type being all purple and the other variety is a pretty peach and a bit larger and fragrant. I need to get out soon and begin dividing many of my perennials. It's been about 3 years since I have and things are getting out of hand. I did just dig up one hosta and gave part of it to my daughter.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
I'm a big fan of Camassia. I remember seeing them one spring at Meadowlark Gardens and being amazed by this plant I had never seen or heard of before. Love the beautiful purple flowers and the fact that it's a bulb plant that does well in wet, and even swampy areas.

The thing I like best is they burst into color just as the daffodils are withering, making them a nice transition plant. Especially if you get tired of planting tulips every year and then seeing them all get eaten by the local deer. Camassia don't need to be replanted and deer don't eat them. I really don't know why they aren't more popular.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Anemones look good and come back. Camassia is nice but never got very big. I think you need a mass planting to look good. I also like Asian lillies in with glads. The coli rs pkay off each other.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 AM

7 posts, read 7,277 times
I love double early and double late tulips. They resemble roses or peonies and some are even fragrant. My favorites are tulips Angelique, Peach Blossom, Mount Tacoma.

I also find the lily-flowered tulips incredibly beautiful. My favorites are tulips Ballerina, Ballade, West Point and White Triumphator.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden