Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 PM

77 posts, read 134,558 times

Advertisements

This weekend I was trying to deal with some of the rampant cherry tomatos I have growing everywhere (I never picked the fruit on several bushes and now they are everywhere!) -- I wanted to pot some up to bring them in to work to give away, but alas I have no pots. I also really love Jiffy pots for growing flowers in on the kitchen windowsill, but the windowsill planter that Jiffy sell doesnt fit on my window for the larger pots - So i designed a little pot to carry both my tomato seedlings and my the 50mm size jiffy pots (the Jiffy 7 ones).

This is what I came up with:

They are a simple 3 piece design, using living hinges for the corners and tabs for glueless construction (and easy destruction for re-planting). I'm re-using old freezer bags or cling wrap from lunches to line them.

I have 3 drain holes in the bottom that I figure I'll be able to poke the plastic liner through once the planes get a little more mature:

They dont stack brilliantly if I'm honest, but I have an idea i'm going to draw up and cut tonight which should stack them better and more securely:

4 of these have Jiffy pots I hydrated and planted last night

Any ideas on how I could improve these or make them more gift worthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post
This weekend I was trying to deal with some of the rampant cherry tomatos I have growing everywhere (I never picked the fruit on several bushes and now they are everywhere!) -- I wanted to pot some up to bring them in to work to give away, but alas I have no pots. I also really love Jiffy pots for growing flowers in on the kitchen windowsill, but the windowsill planter that Jiffy sell doesnt fit on my window for the larger pots - So i designed a little pot to carry both my tomato seedlings and my the 50mm size jiffy pots (the Jiffy 7 ones).

This is what I came up with:

They are a simple 3 piece design, using living hinges for the corners and tabs for glueless construction (and easy destruction for re-planting). I'm re-using old freezer bags or cling wrap from lunches to line them.

I have 3 drain holes in the bottom that I figure I'll be able to poke the plastic liner through once the planes get a little more mature:

They dont stack brilliantly if I'm honest, but I have an idea i'm going to draw up and cut tonight which should stack them better and more securely:

4 of these have Jiffy pots I hydrated and planted last night

Any ideas on how I could improve these or make them more gift worthy?
Whoa very nicely planned out and very picturesque that is an excellent photo! They look plenty gift worthy IMHO.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:36 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
I love your pots. They're very cute. It's the thought that counts!

Old 10-20-2014, 12:08 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
They look great!

Old 10-20-2014, 02:47 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
yes im jealous over those ....nice of you to give those away .

Old 10-20-2014, 09:17 AM

Well i made a nice little interconnecting shelf for them to stack nicely, and bought 15 different types of herbs and flowers for seeds to populate these with... and my laser tube power supply explodes.. again. The laser wasnt even firing this time, powersupply only had 2hrs on it. Oh well, new powersupply ordered.

For a first world country, Australia sure does have some really awful quality power. Its meant to be 240v, measured it at 257v.. my 220V powersupply didn't like that much.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
This looks great.. I could take some of them to help

Old 10-20-2014, 12:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post
Well i made a nice little interconnecting shelf for them to stack nicely, and bought 15 different types of herbs and flowers for seeds to populate these with... and my laser tube power supply explodes.. again. The laser wasnt even firing this time, powersupply only had 2hrs on it. Oh well, new powersupply ordered.

For a first world country, Australia sure does have some really awful quality power. Its meant to be 240v, measured it at 257v.. my 220V powersupply didn't like that much.
I have an Epilog and the power supply is able to handle a significant variation in voltage without a problem, but that does seem a bit much. You can buy a power conditioner that acts much like a water pressure regulator and keeps the voltage steady. Might be a good investment as they cost much less than a new tube. I think I paid $100 or so for one that I use for electronics during a power outage when using the generator.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have an Epilog and the power supply is able to handle a significant variation in voltage without a problem, but that does seem a bit much. You can buy a power conditioner that acts much like a water pressure regulator and keeps the voltage steady. Might be a good investment as they cost much less than a new tube. I think I paid $100 or so for one that I use for electronics during a power outage when using the generator.
The new powersupply is a genuine RECI one, the manufacturer of my laser 'accidentally' didn't put the powersupply I specified into the machine. Its a 220v +/- 10% powersupply. Thankfully it wasn't the tube blowing, with shipping thats $2k. The new powersupply is 90-250V so should cope much better, it has intelligent fault analysis in it, and various other features which is nice.

Hemlock140 are you using a PC UPS? I didnt think one of those would be very happy with the loads of a laser, mine will consume 1.5kW of power with all the motors moving, chiller running, air pumps and laser firing... another 700W for the extractor. Even just the laser powersupply would be 600W, but in bursts which tend to displease computer UPS.

On a more positive note, I made some shelves before the PSU blew. I'm pretty pleased with how they stack up now.

Pretty crappy photos sorry, just taken with my phone before bed.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
What's the wood, Baltic Birch?

No, I don't use a PC UPS except for my computer. The laser is in a power conditioner, the air pump and exhaust fan just in the outlets directly. Sometimes I work with odd things like food. Here's something I did for upcoming Halloween.
Attached Thumbnails
I made some pots for growing seedlings, any suggestions?-10536166724_719aeb6528_z.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden