Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
When you deny the facts you do not help your argument. Incidence rates are decreasing for most cancers, not increasing. While the incidence of some children's cancers has increased, it is not clear whether that means more cancers or only that they are being counted more efficiently. Since the causes of most pediatric cancers are not known, it is irresponsible to assign unproven causality to a vague "chemical" source. How is a death from cancer not a "natural" death? Cancer is just as "natural" as a death from any other disease.

Treating cancer is indeed expensive. The reason we are spending more money on it is because the success rate of treating it is increasing. That is why deaths from cancer are decreasing.

You do realize that your entire body is constructed of "chemicals" don't you?

You have great concern for algaecides, but little understanding about how they work or the regulations concerning their use. For example, one commonly used in ponds is a combination of sodium carbonate (washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide:

http://www.peroxygensolutions.com/wp...et-04_2011.pdf

Note that it breaks down in water and the peroxide is what kills the algae. If fish are killed, it is due to decrease in oxygen levels in the water, not due to the "chemicals" killing the fish. Fish kill can be prevented by proper application of the product. It leaves nothing to "seep into our ground water".

Yep.

Mascara will not cause an eye infection unless it is contaminated with bacteria. It has nothing to do with the "chemicals" in the product.

Old Makeup Can Cause Serious Eye Infections - Online Medical Encyclopedia - University of Rochester Medical Center

Despite extensive research, there is no convincing evidence to link cell phone use and brain cancer or computers and any cancer.

Cell Phones and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute

You might want to look up what dihydrogen monoxide is. If you do not already know, then anything you say about chemistry is suspect.
Who are you kidding about mascaras.... I bought one last year and used it once... I will admit to having allergic eyes, have had for years.. but one sweep of mascara and I could feel what it was doing to my eyes.. same with foundations and creams.. I had to give up creams years ago as I couldnt find one not full of junk. as my skin flared up so bad.. even with J&Js baby cream which was actually worse than some others... so dont please tell me its because theres bacteria in the products through use, this is nonsense..Ive photos to show you my face with a large burn mark after using a well known brand of moisturister... I took the photo as proof .. and only used it once.. your talking nonsense and cancer isnt in decline its on the increase..

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-26-2015 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 05:08 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Who are you kidding about mascaras.... I bought one last year and used it once... I will admit to having allergic eyes, have had for years.. but one sweep of mascara and I could feel what it was doing to my eyes.. same with foundations and creams.. I had to give up creams years ago as I couldnt find one not full of junk. as my skin flared up so bad.. even with J&Js baby cream which was actually worse than some others... so dont please tell me its because theres bacteria in the products through use, this is nonsense..Ive photos to show you my face with a large burn mark after using a well known brand of moisturister... I took the photo as proof .. and only used it once.. your talking nonsense and cancer isnt in decline its on the increase..
That you have a problem with allergies and sensitivities does not mean that other people should not use the products that cause you problems. I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa. That does not mean no one should use penicillin or sulfa. I am allergic to wasp venom. That does not mean all wasps should be killed.

Mascara can become contaminated with bacteria that can cause eye infections. That means mascara should be handled to reduce such contamination and thrown away after three or four months. It does not mean no one should ever use mascara because of the chemicals in it.

In the US, the incidence of most cancers is decreasing. It's a fact. Keep in mind that even though the incidence goes down - number of cases per 100,000 population - the total number of cases may increase because the population is larger. The key figure is the incidence rate, not total number of cases. Also, the risk of getting cancer increases with age. That means that people who used to die from other diseases (like heart attacks) at young ages are living long enough to get cancers.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:03 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
That you have a problem with allergies and sensitivities does not mean that other people should not use the products that cause you problems. I am allergic to penicillin and sulfa. That does not mean no one should use penicillin or sulfa. I am allergic to wasp venom. That does not mean all wasps should be killed.

Mascara can become contaminated with bacteria that can cause eye infections. That means mascara should be handled to reduce such contamination and thrown away after three or four months. It does not mean no one should ever use mascara because of the chemicals in it.

In the US, the incidence of most cancers is decreasing. It's a fact. Keep in mind that even though the incidence goes down - number of cases per 100,000 population - the total number of cases may increase because the population is larger. The key figure is the incidence rate, not total number of cases. Also, the risk of getting cancer increases with age. That means that people who used to die from other diseases (like heart attacks) at young ages are living long enough to get cancers.
I agree with most of what you say. There is one point that I would like to make about whether or not we are our brother's keeper.

Some people are hyper-sensitive to poison ivy or poison oak. One person burning brush half a mile away, from one of these hyper-sensitive individuals, can send them into the hospital. Lets pretend that brush burning individual knows that there is a hyper-sensitive individual living down wind - should they be criminally charged? What if they warned the individual first and said they would pay to relocate them until the smoke had cleared?

We have many in the US that suffer from peanut butter allergies. Almost all products contain warning that they contain peanut butter or they were manufactured with peanut butter equipment. We would be quick to sue if they did not warn us first.

Here is one more case that nobody looks at. Grey squirrels, wood mice and some birds carry Lyme disease: What Causes Lyme Disease? | Bay Area Lyme Foundation. Lyme disease can cause many health problems. Should people be able to sue or criminal prosecute the kindly little old woman next door that feeds squirrels and birds? They might not have contracted the disease if that woman did not 'bait' the wildlife into their neighborhood.

Like I said; I don't disagree with you. I just think that these questions do not have simple answers. We do know that our law and prevailing attitudes will change with time. In the 1950's I could buy a pesticide containing cyanide off the grocery store shelves (Cynogas). In the early 60's, as a 14 year old 'maintenance man' for a resort, I was given this product to exterminate yellow jackets. My instructions were to put half a teaspoon on the hole, hit it with water, and make sure I stood upwind - no gasmask. I survived and to this day I still know what cyanide smells like. However; I don't think any resort owner would ever get away with that today - they would be locked up in the blink of an eye.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Well turned on hits head suzy and typical of all the ones who want others to listen to them.. you should be a polictician.. I was honest in my post saying about my eye allergies and MCS.. I didnt have to.. but my granddaughter has to use talcum free mascara and water based foundation too.. allergies are on the increase as we all know.. the industrial age.. all the new fangled cleaning products and synthetic perfumes etc have made sure of that...Our bodies were meant for the heavy metals, solvents and toxins in todays world..we lived in a world of carts and horses.no planes. computers. fake perfumes, and cleaners for everything.. your granny wouldnt have had spray furniture polish. smelly horrid things that work by electricity to make you room have different perfumes..she would have had soap powders in different smells or fabric conditioners with chloroform in it..she wouldnt have had wonder creams for her face containing phthalates and other cocktails of chemicals to rub into her skin and bloodstream.. There wasnt fluorides put into drinking water.. crop spraying. wars where chemical warfare was used, steroids to fatten beef... and many more things that have constituted in helping to give us more allergies and illnesses.. We live now on a different planet from 100 years ago.. and it shows.. Im not telling people what to do and trying to get some at least to take care and think about what it going into the air and ground and our bodies... babies and children are my prime concern , they cant choose, thats did for them and their immune systems arent strong enough at a young age to contain all these things... Can you imagine a baby lying in a cot all night where the sheets have been washed and dried with heavy perfumed soap powders and fabric conditoners.. have a read whats in these.. then the child wears clothes all day with the same junk which is was washed in... thats 24 hours a day wrapped in chemicals.. they dont sit on the top of your skin , the are ingested into the body..I think very strongly as you can see about all this.. and why Im a support contact by phone for Allergy UK.. Now they wouldnt let some wild woman talk for them ..think about it..

Old 03-27-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Well turned on hits head suzy and typical of all the ones who want others to listen to them.. you should be a polictician.. I was honest in my post saying about my eye allergies and MCS.. I didnt have to.. but my granddaughter has to use talcum free mascara and water based foundation too.. allergies are on the increase as we all know.. the industrial age.. all the new fangled cleaning products and synthetic perfumes etc have made sure of that...Our bodies were meant for the heavy metals, solvents and toxins in todays world..we lived in a world of carts and horses.no planes. computers. fake perfumes, and cleaners for everything.. your granny wouldnt have had spray furniture polish. smelly horrid things that work by electricity to make you room have different perfumes..she would have had soap powders in different smells or fabric conditioners with chloroform in it..she wouldnt have had wonder creams for her face containing phthalates and other cocktails of chemicals to rub into her skin and bloodstream.. There wasnt fluorides put into drinking water.. crop spraying. wars where chemical warfare was used, steroids to fatten beef... and many more things that have constituted in helping to give us more allergies and illnesses.. We live now on a different planet from 100 years ago.. and it shows.. Im not telling people what to do and trying to get some at least to take care and think about what it going into the air and ground and our bodies... babies and children are my prime concern , they cant choose, thats did for them and their immune systems arent strong enough at a young age to contain all these things... Can you imagine a baby lying in a cot all night where the sheets have been washed and dried with heavy perfumed soap powders and fabric conditoners.. have a read whats in these.. then the child wears clothes all day with the same junk which is was washed in... thats 24 hours a day wrapped in chemicals.. they dont sit on the top of your skin , the are ingested into the body..I think very strongly as you can see about all this.. and why Im a support contact by phone for Allergy UK.. Now they wouldnt let some wild woman talk for them ..think about it..
I have six years working in the chemical industry (BASF Wyandotte) in the 1970/80s. I have 30 years in shipping from the 70's through 2007. I have been exposed to just about every chemical or I have handled every chemical. Our first house had lead paint, lead drain pipes, and asbestos pipe insulation. In grade school we played with mercury - we coated silver coins. I worked around one ton chlorine canisters and all kinds of acids and strong alkalis. I stripped box cars with 800X100pound bags of poison chemicals (like sodium silicafluoride and worse). I have been around, even touched, 9000 pound shipping containers of cobalt 90 (they are warm to the touch even when the outside temperature is -20). For some time my shipping company was shipping for Baker Chemical company - you name it; we handled it and there are always going to be some spills. I even organized a spill team so we had better knowledge of the chemicals that we handled.

I'm now 68 with no major health problems - I know that is no guarantee. I just want to say that people should not always look to the past as the shinning example of a 'simple' life. You go back 100+ years and the life span was two thirds of what it is today: Life Expectancy by Age, 1850–2011.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:02 AM

Your right about life expectancy.. but if you look in old graveyards you ll notice that there were many living to their late 80s and 90s.. most of the deaths were babies and children from childhood diseases... glad youve coped with all around you, you must have a strong immune system... Im the same age as you.. not as lucky though , as many others ..but I enjoyed reading your post..

Old 03-27-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Your right about life expectancy.. but if you look in old graveyards you ll notice that there were many living to their late 80s and 90s.. most of the deaths were babies and children from childhood diseases... glad youve coped with all around you, you must have a strong immune system... Im the same age as you.. not as lucky though , as many others ..but I enjoyed reading your post..
One of the biggest problems we faced, with the small spill team I organized, was individual tolerance. Some coworkers used individual tolerance as an excuse not to clean up non-hazardous spills. It was hard to argue against; since we could not prove that they did not have real problems with these non-hazardous substances. I stated this before: At another company 12 of us were exposed to the fumes from a formaldehyde spill. Most of us just had temporary burning eyes and throat. But one woman could not breath - she turned blue in the face and had to immediately be taken our by ambulance. Nobody could predict those results.

From working with chlorinated hydrocarbons (products like BASF's Rapoff) I developed and aversion to the smell. I could sense a spill a quarter of a mile away and most workers were not bothered or even sensed the smell.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One of the biggest problems we faced, with the small spill team I organized, was individual tolerance. Some coworkers used individual tolerance as an excuse not to clean up non-hazardous spills. It was hard to argue against; since we could not prove that they did not have real problems with these non-hazardous substances. I stated this before: At another company 12 of us were exposed to the fumes from a formaldehyde spill. Most of us just had temporary burning eyes and throat. But one woman could not breath - she turned blue in the face and had to immediately be taken our by ambulance. Nobody could predict those results.

From working with chlorinated hydrocarbons (products like BASF's Rapoff) I developed and aversion to the smell. I could sense a spill a quarter of a mile away and most workers were not bothered or even sensed the smell.
so interesting fisheye... how some are more senstive to certain chemicals and others dont notice.. doctors seem baffled by it all and theres no cure once you have a chemical illness.. in fact it multiplies. some good facts there .. thanks.

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-27-2015 at 05:14 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
so interesting fisheye... how some are more senstive to certain chemicals and others dont notice.. doctors seem baffled by it all and theres no cure once you have a chemical illness.. in fact it multiplies. some good facts there .. thanks.
Here is a good article on poison ivy sensitivity: Poison ivy, oak, and sumac | BabyCenter. I quote, from that link: "While no one's born with the allergy, exposure to the plant produces sensitivity to it. In other words, your body responds only after repeated exposure."

I think, that in many cases, chemical sensitivity works the same way. They build up in your body until your body says: That's enough.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:06 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Mascara will not cause an eye infection unless it is contaminated with bacteria. It has nothing to do with the "chemicals" in the product.
Suzy, stop please with the links, I'm repeating what my girlfriends doctor told her, and I would tend to believe an eye doctor sooner then some person on a forum....and links from the internet...they mean nothing....they are opinions and so called studies...however, I also hear the news media constantly parroting, "STUDIES SHOW", and it doesn't mean a thing...

we agree to disagree....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden