Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 PM

132 posts, read 258,858 times

Advertisements

Someone gave me these 5 orchids today (jade plant back-right was already my own). She had no idea what type they are nor how to properly care for them, can anyone help me out identifying them so I can keep these guys healthy?
thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Orchids (help identifying/attending)-img_20150416_201807.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:15 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Poor babies need to be put in terra cotta pots to begin with and fresh orchid bark or mini bark, no soil. No glazed pots either or plastic, causes them to rot. They have also been scorched by to much direct sun, though they love bright light to make them bloom. Not totally sure, but I think the two on the left are oncidiums and the two on the right are phalenopsis, the one in the back looks like it could be a Vanda. Water them once a week with a weak coffee water or orchid fertilizer if you do not drink coffee. I live on the coast and have mine in a south facing window and they bloom regularly.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:56 PM

132 posts, read 258,858 times
thanks for the advice slayer - so you'd embed these orchids in bark the same as you'd plant other plants in soil ? looks like i have some studying to do

Old 04-17-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlicht View Post
thanks for the advice slayer - so you'd embed these orchids in bark the same as you'd plant other plants in soil ? looks like i have some studying to do
Yep, just like in soil, but with mini bark, maybe a little moss around the roots if you can get it. Orchids grow in trees, on the branches on crooks of the branches where leaf mold and moss gathers. They also love warm rain water.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
I am not an orchid grower, but my friends put their pots on top of a tray of flat round stones so the pots will drain. They make sure the plants are either misted frequently with a spray bottle, or have a little water in the tray to improve the local humidity. Of course, no exposure to cold weather.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 AM

186 posts, read 427,643 times
I'm no expert, but I've had great success with reviving abandoned or neglected orchids. Unfortunately I have no idea how to identify but here are a few things I have done to bring them back/keep them thriving:

Eastern window - If sunlight is strong (not filtered by trees) keep them back from the window but try to get them in the indirect eastern sun. Orchids love morning sun but not if it's hitting them directly.

Potting Medium - Sphagnum moss only or a mix of moss and wood chips for potting medium - Orchid roots need good drainage and airflow, but need something to "grab" onto.

Pot - Unlike others, I have had good success with keeping the plant in a clear plastic pot and cutting holes and slits to allow for good drainage. I have also had success with using a plastic pot as a liner in a terra-cotta (or any other pot) and by placing a few flat-ish river stones in the inside bottom of the outer pot to create space for airflow and drainage, so that if any residual moisture is left in the potting mix it can drain through the plastic and into the space with the stones. The outer pot will hold that little bit of moisture and create a more humid environment for the roots, but still will allow for evaporation.

Watering - Less is more. I've found that I water probably once every 10 days, but I make sure the mix is COMPLETELY dry in the bottom...if even a hint of moisture I will wait. This is where the plastic liner comes in handy, as I can pull that liner out of the pot, check the moisture level at the bottom. If dry I give the plant a good soaking, let it drip dry and then put back into pot. Also, I only water in the morning. If I forget to water I just wait until the next day. I've read that orchids need the burst of water in tandem with the sunlight, so watering in the afternoon or evening is not good.

Trimming - After blooming the plant needs a good trim, otherwise it may keep blooming and eventually exhaust itself. I think the standard is to trim back the spike immediately after blooms fall, when the spike is still green and healthy. Trim back to below the node just beneath the node where the bloom occurred. After trimming I take a little cinnamon and water, make a paste and dab it onto the cut.

I think that's it...Orchids are surprisingly resilient IMO if the basic care is maintained.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFillet View Post
I'm no expert, but I've had great success with reviving abandoned or neglected orchids. Unfortunately I have no idea how to identify but here are a few things I have done to bring them back/keep them thriving:

Eastern window - If sunlight is strong (not filtered by trees) keep them back from the window but try to get them in the indirect eastern sun. Orchids love morning sun but not if it's hitting them directly.

Potting Medium - Sphagnum moss only or a mix of moss and wood chips for potting medium - Orchid roots need good drainage and airflow, but need something to "grab" onto.

Pot - Unlike others, I have had good success with keeping the plant in a clear plastic pot and cutting holes and slits to allow for good drainage. I have also had success with using a plastic pot as a liner in a terra-cotta (or any other pot) and by placing a few flat-ish river stones in the inside bottom of the outer pot to create space for airflow and drainage, so that if any residual moisture is left in the potting mix it can drain through the plastic and into the space with the stones. The outer pot will hold that little bit of moisture and create a more humid environment for the roots, but still will allow for evaporation.

Watering - Less is more. I've found that I water probably once every 10 days, but I make sure the mix is COMPLETELY dry in the bottom...if even a hint of moisture I will wait. This is where the plastic liner comes in handy, as I can pull that liner out of the pot, check the moisture level at the bottom. If dry I give the plant a good soaking, let it drip dry and then put back into pot. Also, I only water in the morning. If I forget to water I just wait until the next day. I've read that orchids need the burst of water in tandem with the sunlight, so watering in the afternoon or evening is not good.

Trimming - After blooming the plant needs a good trim, otherwise it may keep blooming and eventually exhaust itself. I think the standard is to trim back the spike immediately after blooms fall, when the spike is still green and healthy. Trim back to below the node just beneath the node where the bloom occurred. After trimming I take a little cinnamon and water, make a paste and dab it onto the cut.

I think that's it...Orchids are surprisingly resilient IMO if the basic care is maintained.
Do not trim the flower spikes on phaelenopsis, they can and do rebloom for sometimes up to seven years off the same spike, most other orchids do not though. Repotting every few years is the best for an orchid, no bigger pot, just fresh bark and or moss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden