Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 11:39 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times

Advertisements

I consider myself quite the master at doing Internet searches, but for the life of me cannot locate this rake. Everything points back to a basic garden rake which I have, but is extremely ineffective for what I want. I haven't gone down to the hardware store yet as I'd rather buy it online if possible, but that's my next step if I can't find it online for whatever reason.

I have four major planter areas: backyard, tree island, front side and house perimeter. Right now my lawn maintenance guys are supposed to take care of the planter areas. Problem is they don't seem to want to do it when it's raining or just after it's rained, which annoys me. I mean it's Western Washington. It rains. They do a good job at mowing and edging and cleanup, and when they do work planters they're 95% excellent.

My old landscaper, who did a poor job mowing, a basic job edging and half-"arsed" cleanup, does an amazing job at planter areas. They and other landscapers use this type of mini rolling rake that looks like a scarifying rake, I'm trying to find that rake so I can buy one of my own.

Looks something like a seam roller. Here's a picture:

But obviously in a rake size and with larger teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 01:21 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Is this what you're looking for...BMS Rotary Hand Spiker

Old 05-17-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Is this what you're looking for...BMS Rotary Hand Spiker
That's close. But that would be for aeration, wouldn't it? Why would such a tool be used in planter areas? And why is it so difficult to locate one in hardware stores?

I wonder if they made this tool themselves - that it's not an actual tool for sale.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,024 times
Is this what you're looking for ?

http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-IR.../dp/B00EOMCM6A

Last edited by Charlotte NC; 05-17-2015 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-17-2015, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,024 times
Is this what you're looking for? There are different manufacturers and various, modified versions. This looks like an aerator, but its actually for your garden beds.

Amazon.com: Yard Butler RC-3 Garden Cultivator: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Last edited by Charlotte NC; 05-17-2015 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: additional information

Old 05-18-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte NC View Post
Is this what you're looking for? There are different manufacturers and various, modified versions. This looks like an aerator, but its actually for your garden beds.

Amazon.com: Yard Butler RC-3 Garden Cultivator: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Not that specific one - but this one. This is what I was looking for.

Amazon.com : H.B. Smith Tools Garden Gopher Rotary Cultivator for Lawn and Garden : Hand Tillers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The name was the key. Thanks!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
I'm glad you found it, some of the internet searches can be very frustrating. I'm trying to figure out what it's used for. They call it a rototiller and you use it in your flower beds? What exactly does it do? Very curious!

Old 05-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I'm glad you found it, some of the internet searches can be very frustrating. I'm trying to figure out what it's used for. They call it a rototiller and you use it in your flower beds? What exactly does it do? Very curious!
Normally it would be used to till the lawn in preparation for slit seeding. But for my specific use case, it basically agitates the beauty bark in the planter areas. So if there is a lot of tree debris, weeds, grass, etc. it rakes them all out and resets the appearance of the beauty bark. Makes it look nice, uniform and new every time. I'll probably share a before-and-after but I won't be buying this for a few days; I just wanted to find it.

Garden rakes can do the same thing but that's a lot of work compared to this tool - I know from personal experience which is why I wanted to find it so bad.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:12 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Well it sounds very useful and I would love to see some before-and-after photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden