Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 08:04 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

In looking online at houses for sale in Tyler, TX, I have liked every house in my price range. I've been doing some research about other aspects of Tyler, like property taxes, electricity rates, etc.

I'm looking for a place to move. I'm a recent retiree who lives in Dallas.

I'm not sure about Houston or Louisiana, and decided against Austin & San Antonio. I checked out Tyler, and it looked so pretty and had the nicest houses I've seen in my price range...with decent sized yards, too!

Now I have to try to figure out what kind of gardening works there. I know Tyler is famous for its roses. But what else does well there, does anyone know? I would like to plant a couple of fig trees. I would love a couple of citrus bushes, but I can do those in a greenhouse, if necessary.

Does anyone know what the soil is like? Can you stick a shovel in it easily? (Can't do that in MY yard here in Dallas!) Is it light colored and sandy like, or is it medium brown and crumbly?

I'll call a couple of plant nurseries there, but I just thought someone in this forum may have firsthand experience gardening in Tyler. If so, I'd appreciate any thoughts and info you have about it.

(I posted also in the Tyler TX subforum, just in case.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 09:20 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I used to have a place a couple of counties NW of Tyler. Tyler is much nicer in every way than where we lived.

The soil is much better, they grow sweet potatoes there. You can grow root veg. More humus and sand, less clay. Good rainfall. Tyler is a pretty good place to grow things as Texas goes.

Look into own-root antique roses, varieties that are least susceptible to blackspot. I planted dozens of varieties on my place, most of them performed very well. We sold it in 2001 and the subsequent buyer went into foreclosure in 2012, in the midst of a terrible years long drought. The property has now been vacant and untended for at least 3 years. My roses still live right now! We have family in the area who drove by this summer and reported that some of the roses were still going like gangbusters. Tough little thugs those roses are.

All members of the hibiscus family love it there. Fabulous family of shrubs and flowers (and cotton).

Not sure why you'd want a greenhouse in Tyler? The climate is probably too hot to get much use from a greenhouse.

The biggest problem in that part of the world are weird spring freezes out of nowhere after it's been 80 degrees, and ice storms.

Last edited by azoria; 08-24-2015 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I used to have a place a couple of counties NW of Tyler. Tyler is much nicer in every way than where we lived.

The soil is much better, they grow sweet potatoes there. You can grow root veg. More humus and sand, less clay. Good rainfall. Tyler is a pretty good place to grow things as Texas goes.

Look into own-root antique roses, varieties that are least susceptible to blackspot. I planted dozens of varieties on my place, most of them performed very well. We sold it in 2001 and the subsequent buyer went into foreclosure in 2012, in the midst of a terrible years long drought. The property has now been vacant and untended for at least 3 years. My roses still live right now! We have family in the area who drove by this summer and reported that some of the roses were still going like gangbusters. Tough little thugs those roses are.

All members of the hibiscus family love it there. Fabulous family of shrubs and flowers (and cotton).

Not sure why you'd want a greenhouse in Tyler? The climate is probably too hot to get much use from a greenhouse.

The biggest problem in that part of the world are weird spring freezes out of nowhere after it's been 80 degrees, and ice storms.
Thanks! A lot of information there!

As for the greenhouse, I just threw that out there as a possibility in case I couldn't grow citrus because of the winter. It won't grow in Dallas. But I believe you can grow citrus in cold areas by putting them in pots, then putting them in a greenhouse over the winter. That's what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden