Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,682,331 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow green thumbers, the big move is on and I am hoping to hear from anyone with eastern Mt gardening advice. Now I know I can grow wheat! but should I stay to the annuals due to the over wintering conditions, also I have wind and high temps, short growing season. I am coming from a zone 5-6 temperate rain forest PNW. I know, could not have moved to a more different climate! Beautiful skies here, go on forever, and more stars than I have seen in an entire lifetime. Looking around at others the low growing junipers seem to make it. Conifers seem to lose too much moisture due to the wind. thanks, and I will look forward to any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 08:04 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,833,983 times
I was in wyoming. We had a great garden. You should grow short season stuff. But we had okra,watermelon,cantalope, ect. Just be sure you start in the house about two months before you set them out. And be prepared to cover it. As wyo and mt is notorious for late frosts. We used old sheets and blankets. Keep close track of weather in the spring. When they call for frosts, cover. Toward the end of our living there we used row crop covers. And just put them up out of the weather and sun. When we were done for the spring. And they will make the fall season longer, too. You can let the root crops stay in the garden longer if you cover them in the fall with straw or a couple inches of leaves. Just be sure to put some wire on it, so the wind won't blow it away. We had a good garden almost every year. The wind can suck the moisture out of the plants in one afternoon,so watch for that. Keep everything watered.
A good place for trees of all kinds is Lawyer Nursery in MT. They have good products and the fruit and berry stuff is no. 1. I have starts of orchards in every place we lived in wyoming. Hope it helps.

Last edited by shadowwalker; 01-26-2008 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: mispelled words

Old 01-26-2008, 08:16 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
If you are in Eastern Montana you need to have a good windbreak. Some ideas would include:
Eastern Cedar
White Pine
Norway Spruce
Blue Spruce
Austrian Pine

If you keep them watered by using drip irrigation or other forms of irrigation it generally helps those trees get a good start.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I was in wyoming. We had a great garden. You should grow short season stuff. But we had okra,watermelon,cantalope, ect. Just be sure you start in the house about two months before you set them out. And be prepared to cover it. As wyo and mt is notorious for late frosts. We used old sheets and blankets. Keep close track of weather in the spring. When they call for frosts, cover. Toward the end of our living there we used row crop covers. And just put them up out of the weather and sun. When we were done for the spring. And they will make the fall season longer, too. You can let the root crops stay in the garden longer if you cover them in the fall with straw or a couple inches of leaves. Just be sure to put some wire on it, so the wind won't blow it away. We had a good garden almost every year. The wind can suck the moisture out of the plants in one afternoon,so watch for that. Keep everything watered.
A good place for trees of all kinds is Lawyer Nursery in MT. They have good products and the fruit and berry stuff is no. 1. I have starts of orchards in every place we lived in wyoming. Hope it helps.
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
If you are in Eastern Montana you need to have a good windbreak. Some ideas would include:
Eastern Cedar
White Pine
Norway Spruce
Blue Spruce
Austrian Pine

If you keep them watered by using drip irrigation or other forms of irrigation it generally helps those trees get a good start.
Thank you, I have taken note of the breaks here and what seems to do well. I am suprised at the amount of moisture the wind takes, I have very rugged cottonwood around the house but a touch of evergreen would be nice. I am a big beliver in drip watering so you do not lose moisture to evaporation. Hey looking forward to actual red tomatoes

Old 02-09-2008, 04:14 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Thank you, I have taken note of the breaks here and what seems to do well. I am suprised at the amount of moisture the wind takes, I have very rugged cottonwood around the house but a touch of evergreen would be nice. I am a big beliver in drip watering so you do not lose moisture to evaporation. Hey looking forward to actual red tomatoes
What variety of pine or spruce did you choose? I am not sure when the growing season starts in E Montana, but would assume it would be May. Also, you might think about adding some good black topsoil if you have a lot of clay. Drip irrigation would be a great idea considering your area has strong winds during all seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden