Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times

Advertisements

Somehow they too took off. Didn't plant a one. Want to share them as well. Hate good things to go to waste.

I suppose wait till they are a few feet high. I have some 1' to ...well the 5 footer I'm not going to part with.

And what season to transplant?

Any peculiarities? I've moved some around my yard, most worked, one didn't but these would be to give away so I want to make as few mistakes as possible.

I have read that they might not be sufficiently rooted to tolerate the summer sun if they are transplanted in Spring. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
They are most likely similar to the Western Hemlock, which are plentiful here. I do bonsai, and collected some from the mountains in August of 2011 on a day that was sunny and 85F. Most were probably 30 years old, with a trunk diameter of 3" but only about 2' high due to winter snow loads, which is why I chose them. If you are careful about it you can move them any time, though winter is the best. I cut in around it until I reached the largest center roots cut them with a saw, then lifted one end of the rootball and soil enough to get a black plastic bag under it. Then tipped it the other way and pulled the bag out the other side, up and around, and taped it tight around the soil and roots. With plenty of water as soon as possible from jugs in my truck, I made the 2 hour trip home where I punched holes in the bottom of the plastic and left it that way, watering regularly for two years. I just potted them up in wooden grow boxes this spring, but again, did not disturb the roots. Here's one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Transplanting Eastern Hemlock-hemlock2011.jpeg   Transplanting Eastern Hemlock-mtnhemlockcascades.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden