Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 07:42 AM

141 posts, read 329,960 times

Advertisements

I would like to transplant honeysuckle along a fence line in my front yard. I have never done anything like this and have no clue where to begin. I basically have a brown thumb and need some knowledge from people who actually know what they're talking about.

Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
There are approximately 180 varieties of honeysuckle and some are non-native - and invasive. I sure hope if you plan to transplant it that the location you move it to is one that you want that honeysuckle there forever and that you want nothing else to grow. Honeysuckle vines can kill trees. Did you do a google search on how to propagate?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 PM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
Honeysuckles generally are pretty tough plants. As long as the ones you intend to move are not too large, you can just bareroot them. Drive a shovel into the ground all around the plant - the smaller the plant the closer to the main stem(s). Then just pry it out, shake off the dirt, and put it in the new location. I would suggest a minimum of 6 inches all around the plant unless it is quite small. Don't replant any deeper than the plant was in the ground originally. Water.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Now is the perfect time to do this. Even a small piece of root left will become a new plant. If you'd rather not move one, you can take cuttings in February. Make sure there are a couple leaf nodes below the soil you stick them in. Water and place in a shady spot until mid June or so. Those that root should show lots of new growth. Those that didn't will be dead twigs. This is one of the easiest plants to propagate using hardwood cuttings. Just be sure you want a LOT of honeysuckle. Given free range on a fence, they can take over in a matter of a year.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:43 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,233,802 times
I want to get some, I think Hummingbirds love them.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:53 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
If y'all want honeysuckle that won't eat your fence or house and that hummingbirds really love, plant coral honeysuckle:

Floridata: Lonicera sempervirens

I have a couple that I dug out of a neighbor's yard along an unkempt fencerow....it's a native plant....they've done really well and are so beautiful when they're blooming, and evergreen, too.

I once saw one growing up into a small tree....that thing was spectacular when it bloomed, and it won't hurt the tree because it's not a rampant grower like Japanese honeysuckle (avoid this at all costs!). I am now training one of mine to go up into a nearby small saucer magnolia. And it can take a little shade and still bloom....both of mine are in partial shade and bloom....as a matter of fact, the one in more shade has grown and bloomed better than the one that gets more sun (this is in the deep South, though....this probably would not apply in the north.)

Old 11-10-2009, 01:30 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
You can't kill honeysuckle, even if you try. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You can't kill honeysuckle, even if you try. Good luck!
You're not kidding! Its considered invasive here in Cincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden