Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
That's an image of a tree from bing -its not my tree.I will take a picture of my tree tomorrow when its light. I am just not very confident because some of the trunks are so inlaid into the tree they seem like part of the tree. You can saw into them but then you have to hack at it to knock pieces out with a hammer and screwdriver and then just a small piece at a time.

If you can cut through them they will die. You're overworking it if you're hammering them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:46 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you can cut through them they will die. You're overworking it if you're hammering them.
So just cut through them? I don't have to cut so I can pry chunks of the trunk off?I have been trying to saw through in 2 places so I could knock a piece of the trunk out.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:51 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
So just cut through them? I have been trying to saw through in 2 places so I could knock a piece of the trunk out. So I make one cut then a few inches above that I make another cut then I try to pry it off with a screwdriver .

Two cuts is ok. Prying out the chunk isn't necessary. One cut will do it.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
So just keep cutting till I see red bark? lol That's when you know you have reached the tree.The bark is reddish brown.The vine trunks are white
No, vigorously cut about 95% of the way through the ivy trunk, then slow down and work carefully. The last time I had to do that, I made two parallel cuts in the vine and took a chisel to that small section (1/2 inch?), and then I had room to work on the rest without causing damage to the tree.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's easy with loppers. Very easy. You fit one vine into the lopper at a time and cut. Just leave the cut vines hanging. In a few weeks the green vines will turn brown and leaves will fall off. I left mine in the trees and in approx 1 year the dead vines (without the leaves) turn gray and get dry and brittle and fall off naturally with wind and/or rain.

DO NOT CUT DOWN THE OAK TREES.

Your problem is you aren't using the proper tools. Use loppers. If you can't do it then hire a landscaper to cut the vines with loppers but leave the oak trees alone.

Here's a photo of someone using loppers on the ivy.

Invasive Ivy - The Washington Post

Thank You to our Free the Trees Volunteers! | The Friends of Herring Run Parks

I would do just that but I cannot overstate the thickness of the trunks that have grown up these trees .I am not dealing with just a vine .That's how the ivy trunks are on my tree.Thick , woody and in places overlaid. I will continue to cut away at the trunks but I do not want this vine spreading to my other trees.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:32 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
I would do just that but I cannot overstate the thickness of the trunks that have grown up these trees .I am not dealing with just a vine .That's how the ivy trunks are on my tree.Thick , woody and in places overlaid. I will continue to cut away at the trunks but I do not want this vine spreading to my other trees.
North Beach Person has told you what to do. Go outside and do it.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:52 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
don't get rid of the tree.

first of all.. it won't get rid of English ivy if that is really what you have. It will still be there and you will have just cut down two trees. Whether you want the trees is up to you but just know it won't get rid of the ivy. It'll still be there.

Wow those ARE thick ones though! Is there a reason not to just leave it there? I don't think it'll hurt the tree, not as bad as kudzu anyway. And while has 'ivy' in the name it's not poison ivy and doesn't harm anythign as far as I know. It's just a nuisance invasive. (although commonly still sold at stores)

Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
don't get rid of the tree.

first of all.. it won't get rid of English ivy if that is really what you have. It will still be there and you will have just cut down two trees. Whether you want the trees is up to you but just know it won't get rid of the ivy. It'll still be there.

Wow those ARE thick ones though! Is there a reason not to just leave it there? I don't think it'll hurt the tree, not as bad as kudzu anyway. And while has 'ivy' in the name it's not poison ivy and doesn't harm anythign as far as I know. It's just a nuisance invasive. (although commonly still sold at stores)

My original thought was that maybe I should cut them down so the ivy doesn't spread to the tops of other nearby trees.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
My original thought was that maybe I should cut them down so the ivy doesn't spread to the tops of other nearby trees.
You seem overwhelmed by this. Just hire someone to do it. The ivy can be removed and the trees saved.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
I have 2 oak trees (one tall. the other not so much) that had English Ivy planted around them to grow up the trees by the previous owner.The ivy has grown into the canopy of the tall tree and has supporting trunks that are so huge they seem like part of the tree and I don't think I can fully remove them to kill the ivy all the way up the tree. Will I eventually need to cut down these two oaks (they aren't dying and seem to be healthy trees otherwise) so that the other trees in the woods in the back of my house aren't taken over too? There are 2 other oaks nearby whose canopys almost touch the tall oak covered in ivy.Will the ivy go from one canopy to another and smother the the other two oaks from the top down? I would like to save these trees somehow but I am not sure what I can do. As I said the ivy trunks are so thick and interwoven it's about impossible to saw though and remove them.
funny you bring this up, because i'm having the same problem but with a neighbor who thinks english ivy is good. they're up almost 50-75ft up her oaks, and they're dying. she the type who has no clue on horticulture, and lives in her stupid life.

i have an easy solution. DO NOT CUT THE OAKS DOWN.. get to the base of the trunks, and snip off the ivy stem(s) that is the life vein of their existence. once you cut them, they'll stop growing.. the ivy itself is not sucking nutrients out of the bark. after 1 season, the ivy will turn brown.. in another season, the vines will dry out and start falling off like zits. DO NOT call a landscaping co to pull the vines off, if you or anyone else tries to forcibly rip off the vines, you may damage the tree bark.. just let it fall off on it's own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden