Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times

Advertisements

Well....my list above has changed somewhat. Some of my seeds came up and died, or got eaten. I replanted some seeds, twice and a few three times. A few never came up at all, some came up twice (took longer than expected, so both sets came up) and some of my plants were up, but some little buggers decide it's a free for all. Some seeds I didn't have any more of.

I'll have to re-do my list, mostly it's tomatoes, and a few peppers. I ended up getting plants for most of what needed replanting. I'm still hoping a few of the seeds I've replanted do come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
Mostly tomatoes, I got in on some very generous seed offers on a very big tomato forum and I got some unusual varieties. Some I am growing from seeds I got from tomatoes I bought at the farmers market, so at least I know what those ones taste like. Only 2 plants were bought later as seedings.

My new tomatoes this year:

Lithium Sunset
Pink Bumblebee
Pearly Pink Orange
Pineapple
Orange Russian 117
Green Zebra Cherry (maybe, if the only seedling that germinated, then got stepped on as soon as it was planted, survives, poor little plant)
Idaho Hillbilly
Pit Viper
Wherokowhai
New Big Dwarf
Dwarf Beauty King
Tennessee Suited
Chocolate Stripes
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Indigo Cherry Drops
Reverend Michael Keyes
Cherokee Lime
Oxheart
Cosmonaut Volkov

Also new:

Little Marvel Peas
Parris Island Romaine Lettuce
And I planted seeds from those little sweet mini peppers you can buy in multi-color packs, I don't know if they'll grow true, but it should be fun.
I'm got some seeds from the same source 2 years ago. GGWT is one of the seeds I had to replant 3 times this year and really want to grow. I grew them last year but it was such a horrible year that I don't think any of the tomatoes I had that were edible really had good taste. I love Chocolate Stripes. One of the replacement tomatoes is Pineapple - which I tried to grow my first year, 5 years ago, and it was a bust so I'm trying to grow it again. I did Sunrise Bumble Bee last year. It was good. One of my favorite tomatoes is Green Zebra - I've never tried the cherry version.

I didn't get any seeds this year, but hope to next year.

Best of luck with your tomatoes - please let us know what was really good and what you'd pass on growing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Garnet Rose red romaine is a new one for us. It looks more like a leaf lettuce than a romaine, but we will see what it looks like as it gets bigger. If it's a red leaf lettuce, then I may have it mixed up with Beleah Rose, although I'm pretty sure it's the Garnet Rose.

Weeding lettuce is easy when it's really red lettuce. The color is darker than the picture shows.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:10 AM

175 posts, read 366,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

I'm got some seeds from the same source 2 years ago. GGWT is one of the seeds I had to replant 3 times this year and really want to grow. I grew them last year but it was such a horrible year that I don't think any of the tomatoes I had that were edible really had good taste. I love Chocolate Stripes. One of the replacement tomatoes is Pineapple - which I tried to grow my first year, 5 years ago, and it was a bust so I'm trying to grow it again. I did Sunrise Bumble Bee last year. It was good. One of my favorite tomatoes is Green Zebra - I've never tried the cherry version.

I didn't get any seeds this year, but hope to next year.

Best of luck with your tomatoes - please let us know what was really good and what you'd pass on growing again.
I have 2 GGWT and 2 Chocolate Stripes, and I'm starting to think that might be a little overkill for some fairly similar tomatoes. I'm hoping to compare them because I got a Chocolate Stripes tomato at the farmers market last year and it was the best tomato I'd ever tried (I saved it's seeds, that's what I have growing now). I also ended up with some Tennessee Suited from Marsha, which looks to be a dwarf version of Pink Berkeley Tie Die, so there's that too .

I grew Green Zebra last year, but it was started late and I only got 2 tomatoes, and my sister's dog ate both. I managed to save half of the second one for seeds, so I'm growing that one and the cherry. I hear the Green Zebra Cherry is sweeter than the Green Zebra.

I'm pretty excited about the dwarf tomatoes this year, they're such beautiful compact plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden