Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 12:59 PM

115 posts, read 163,316 times

Advertisements

So I post other places but here seems like a good place to get some advice. It's winter time here in the norther east so all buggo's are not around. I have a VERY LARGE what appears to be wasp nest in a tree over my driveway (30+ feet hight), maybe contributing to increase activity this and next summer. My questions are as follows.

1- should i care or leave em 'bee'

2- if i should take it down, when? wait till lots of frost days?

3 - how? how in the world to i try to knock that down? i state 30 but could be higher...(i got a drone)

4 - if i somehow knock it down, what do i do with it? fire pit? neighbors yard?

thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:05 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
I assume you are seeing it now because the leaves have fallen. Does that mean that you didn't notice it earlier this year? Do you have a lot of wasp activity in your yard?

I would leave it alone. If it hasn't been a problem up to now, it wouldn't worry me.

A picture would help identify the species.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I assume you are seeing it now because the leaves have fallen. Does that mean that you didn't notice it earlier this year? Do you have a lot of wasp activity in your yard?

I would leave it alone. If it hasn't been a problem up to now, it wouldn't worry me.

A picture would help identify the species.

Fair point, i don't recall seeing much activity during the summer. I just don't want the nest migrating to my garage/attic. and it's big.

A picture i'll definitely get you this weekend when i have light to take it.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
It's probably last summers baldface hornets nest. The nest is dead, and should not be a problem ever again. By winters end, between the weather and birds the nest will be gone.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:44 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
It's probably last summers baldface hornets nest. The nest is dead, and should not be a problem ever again. By winters end, between the weather and birds the nest will be gone.
I agree about the baldface hornets. The worse part about those nest is when you disturb one by accident. Of course now they are dead. Although I would not want to bring it inside and warm them up - but it is probably 'safe'.

The flying insect killers that shoot 20 feet are good at killing these nest during the warmer months. I worry about them when they decide to build in 'my' space - like under the deck steps or in the eves over the doors. The sooner you spot these problems and take care of them; the better off you will be later on - they reproduce fast and the colony grows in size and potential danger to humans. One got me last year when they built the nest on a low hanging limb and I did not see it until my head got too close. Although I have never been stung while spraying these nest; I would still recommend safety googles and long sleeve coats/shirts/hood - minimize your exposure.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I worry about them when they decide to build in 'my' space - like under the deck steps or in the eves over the doors.
TX, i too worry about them in "my space". In the early spring when its still too cool for them to come out i use one of those 'ortho home defense' spray's while my kids are away for a day. I spray around the parameter of the house and try to get where the gutters meet the roof, (had some in my attic over my bedroom one yr).

Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue0888 View Post
So I post other places but here seems like a good place to get some advice. It's winter time here in the norther east so all buggo's are not around. I have a VERY LARGE what appears to be wasp nest in a tree over my driveway (30+ feet hight), maybe contributing to increase activity this and next summer. My questions are as follows.

1- should i care or leave em 'bee'

2- if i should take it down, when? wait till lots of frost days?

3 - how? how in the world to i try to knock that down? i state 30 but could be higher...(i got a drone)

4 - if i somehow knock it down, what do i do with it? fire pit? neighbors yard?

thanks everyone.
That nest is now dead, and will not be reoccupied. No need to do anything at all about it. It's basically paper, and will disintegrate all on its own.

In your yard and around the neighborhood, new queens are hibernating. When it is warm enough next spring, those new queens will emerge and will start hunting for food, building new nests, and laying eggs. Most of those new queens will not be successful and will die before they get very far along.

So keep an eye out next spring for those new nests. Personally, I only destroy nests that are near walkways or patios, etc. Wasps eat other insects, and that is a good thing.

If you didn't notice wasp activity last summer, then the occupants of that nest must not have bothered you much.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:28 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue0888 View Post
TX, i too worry about them in "my space". In the early spring when its still too cool for them to come out i use one of those 'ortho home defense' spray's while my kids are away for a day. I spray around the parameter of the house and try to get where the gutters meet the roof, (had some in my attic over my bedroom one yr).
Our yellow jackets are probably the worse. They do not pack the punch of the baldface hornets; but the 'in-ground' nest are so easy to step on by accident - they do not like to be stepped on! When you disturb them it is amazing how many bees they can fit down that hole! You only see a few until you make a mistake and then they send out the whole army!

For us, in the northeast, August and September are bad months. The colonies have grown to full size and the heat seems to make them more aggressive - perhaps there are just more?

I do agree with jacqueg that we should leave them alone; if they are not in our way. The safety of ourselves and family does come first. Over fifty years ago I worked for a resort. One of the top priorities was to insure that our guest did not get stung. Nobody wants to go on vacation and get stung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden