Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times

Advertisements

We called them Brain Apples when I was a kid. Used to play catch with it if we happened upon one.

We also threw Gingko nuts at one another. Blech!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 11:21 AM

859 posts, read 705,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Hedge Apple...Maclura Pomifera, as said above not recommended for eating.
OTHER COMMON NAMES: Osage Orange / Horse Apple / Monkey Ball
Why? Is it bad or harmful?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
We called them Brain Apples when I was a kid. Used to play catch with it if we happened upon one.

We also threw Gingko nuts at one another. Blech!
we called them monkey brain fruit. the wood makes fantastic firewood but is so hard it's murder on a chainsaw chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
Why? Is it bad or harmful?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXjEknWIe80

Quote:
Hedge apples, also known as osage oranges, are generally considered inedible. This is largely due to the unpalatable taste of its fruit despite its orange-like smell. However, hedge apples are non-poisonous. And those who can look past the hedge apple's bumpy, ugly exterior, eat its seeds.
https://www.hunker.com/13420336/how-to-eat-hedge-apples

Old 11-13-2018, 01:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Monkey brain trees!

They are fun to throw at each other.

Our township used to be known for them. There are still a half dozen or so that are 100 - 150 years old. They are massive. Nice looking trees but messy. Other than beaning your brother, there is not much use for the fruit that i know of. Recently I read someplace it was good for something, I think it was on Citydata. .

Old 11-13-2018, 01:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I read once that the fruit was likely eaten by some extinct creature. Maybe a sloth?

I tried planting a few and they didn’t really grow all that well. I think they didn’t care for the acidic soil down here.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:24 AM

859 posts, read 705,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
we called them monkey brain fruit. the wood makes fantastic firewood but is so hard it's murder on a chainsaw chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXjEknWIe80
Quote:
Hedge apples, also known as osage oranges, are generally considered inedible. This is largely due to the unpalatable taste of its fruit despite its orange-like smell. However, hedge apples are non-poisonous. And those who can look past the hedge apple's bumpy, ugly exterior, eat its seeds.
https://www.hunker.com/13420336/how-to-eat-hedge-apples
The actual fruit is bigger than what it seems in OP's picture.
Have you ever tried it?
What does the taste look like?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Osage Orange - Eat The Weeds and other things, too

Old 11-16-2018, 04:38 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Rumored to be disliked by spiders. Old wives' tale that putting Osage oranges in a basement will drive the spiders out. I don't know if it works or not.
<sigh>. I have yet to figure out a purpose for these and neither has any of the farmers in my area. Believe me, if a farmer can't find a way to re-purpose something, it is useless

1. Just because someone gave them the moniker of "horse apples", nothing could be further from the truth. Horses hate them, cows hate them, AND the trees/bushes grow HUGE thorny spikes that managed to puncture the front tires on our elderly farm tractor.

2. I also heard that spider retardant rumor so I spread some throughout the barn years ago. They don't work - not even after they start to rot

I am not one for cutting down any healthy tree but, after the cost of repairing tires for a farm tractor and see the cuts on one of my horses nose from diving for grass near that tree/bush, it got cut and burned.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:25 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Seems like I heard that if you cut up a hedge apple, and put it in various places, it will deter mice. So...you know...places like cabins, travel trailers...wherever mice are a problem.

(I don't know if it works or not. I haven't seen a hedge apple in ages.)

Old 11-28-2018, 02:14 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,538,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
The actual fruit is bigger than what it seems in OP's picture.
Have you ever tried it?
What does the taste look like?
no, i've never tried it personally. never got that hungry

from silibran's link-

"To separate the edible seeds from mature fruit put the fruit in a bucket of water and wait until the fruit is soft, then separate the seeds out. This will be an aroma-filled process and not pleasant. Let’s just say starving would help."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden