Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times

Advertisements

I've heard that blackbirds don't like safflower seeds, haven't tried it myself to see if it's true. Supposedly, if you put only safflower seeds in your feeder, with no other seeds mixed in, the blackbirds will move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 02:18 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
They're blackbirds and devour most of the seed within 24 hours. They're aggressive towards other types of birds that want their share too.
There are birdfeeders that have wire grills set a small distance away from the seed ports. Smaller birds can get their bodies, heads, or beaks through the grill and reach the seed. Bigger birds can't. Also, bigger heavier birds can't cling by their feet as well (except woodpeckers of course). Small birds can. There are many feeders that require the bird to cling to the side or bottom of the feeder in order to pick up suet or seed. They tend to discourage big birds.

Lots of feeder ideas here:

https://www.duncraft.com/

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-22-2019 at 02:56 PM..

Old 06-22-2019, 03:04 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
We have several very large blue birds eating up large chunks of suet every time they fly by. Enormous ones. The others get theirs, but my husband is putting up suet left and right.
Are you talking about Bluejays when you say "very large blue birds?"

Old 06-22-2019, 04:57 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
NO, they were invented to stop squirrels from eating the seed... Squirrels weigh way more than many birds...
I've seen them advertised against larger birds as well.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:06 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
NO, they were invented to stop squirrels from eating the seed... Squirrels weigh way more than many birds...

NO, they can be weight adjusted for grackles, blackbirds,etc

https://bromebirdcare.com/squirrelbuster-legacy/

And, they work!!!!!!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:39 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
if we knew the genus/species of the "bullies"
we might have some recommendations.
different ones require different solutions.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:57 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Are you talking about Bluejays when you say "very large blue birds?"
June is prime time for feeding birds, it's actually far more important than feeding in winter. Nesting is in full swing and they need all the energy they can get. I'd say in June we go through 80 lbs of black oil sunflower and ~30 suet cakes. Worth it we have greatly increased the bird population in the immediate area over the last few years,

"Blackbirds" (grackles, red-winged, cowbirds) are infrequent visitors to our feeding station because it is in a mostly wooded area. If you are near fields or in a more open area you might have to resort to the weight-sensitive feeders that others have mentioned.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:10 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,938 times
I don’t have a feeder, but I remember visiting someone who had “solved” this problem by putting out so much seed in such a wide area that the bullies were simply incapable of eating/defending all of it. Though I don’t think this would work though if you live in an HOA. LOL

Old 06-26-2019, 11:55 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There are birdfeeders that have wire grills set a small distance away from the seed ports. Smaller birds can get their bodies, heads, or beaks through the grill and reach the seed. Bigger birds can't. Also, bigger heavier birds can't cling by their feet as well (except woodpeckers of course). Small birds can. There are many feeders that require the bird to cling to the side or bottom of the feeder in order to pick up suet or seed. They tend to discourage big birds.

Lots of feeder ideas here:

https://www.duncraft.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
NO, they can be weight adjusted for grackles, blackbirds,etc

https://bromebirdcare.com/squirrelbuster-legacy/

And, they work!!!!!!
Thanks for the tips on selecting a good bird feeder.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:10 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
June is prime time for feeding birds, it's actually far more important than feeding in winter. Nesting is in full swing and they need all the energy they can get.
Except in bear country. Providing an attractive nuisance in the form of bird feeders just ends up killing more bears. Feeding birds in winter can be done in an ecologically defensible manner if the timing is right. I don't put my feeders out until the migratory species have headed south. The birds that use the food in winter are residents; they'll be around no matter what. By late spring when bears are active I put all bird food away to avoid habituating them and getting them shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden