Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 04:30 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Why on earth would you be concerned about earthworms? They all aid in breakdown. They eat organic particulate and break it down and aerate soil.

That you have them in your compost pile simply means that its a healthy compost pile.
JONOV, I am not attempting to eradicate them or other wise be concerned of their presence, I am merely attempting to avoid pressing them through my compost screen box, saving them when I can and tossing them back into the compost pile....

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Keep as many worms as you can. If the birds get some, or a lot, don't worry. More worms, and all kinds of other bugs, will find your compost and keep breaking it down.

We have a robin's nest right next to our compost pile. We enjoy watching the birds pick through for worms, then feed their chicks. As we see it, the compost is for all the living things we try to sustain on our property; the worms, the isopods, the centipedes, the birds, the plants in the garden, and so on.
Well said westsideboy, but I like to give the robins a challenge...LOL

And now a gardening joke for those of a certain vintage....

You may have outgrown following the remnants of the Grateful Dead Band from concert to concert, but if you continually nip off the deceased blooms of your vegetable or flower garden, you are still a.......wait for it........"Deadhead".........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes. They're generally called red worms (there are about three different species IIRC) or manure worms, and they are the worms you should use in enclosed worm boxes......

Thanks for that information. I went online looking for more info with photos about how to identify different kinds of earthworms and discovered that there's really a lot of them. And of the 182 taxa of earthworms found in the United States and Canada, 60 (33%) are introduced species. That was in these interesting articles about invasive earthworms that have been getting introduced to Canada and USA from Europe and Asia since colonization! Just thought I'd post the links as a matter of interest to any gardeners here who live between 45° and 69° latitude in or around forested areas of North America:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasi..._North_America

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/wil...l-sugar-maples

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-27-2019 at 06:49 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 06:47 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,519,639 times
Diversity among worms. Just because they are different does not mean you rub them out..

Old 06-27-2019, 07:58 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I always figured, if I had plenty of worms in my compost, that I did something right! The more worms the merrier. Unfortunately, when we had ducks, they kept down the worm numbers. Now, without the ducks; my worms are again thriving.

I never worried about collecting them or damaging them when I turned over the soil. Of course it depends on the 'instrument' that you use. The 'digging fork' (like this one https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...E,gclsrc:aw.ds) does less damage to the worms and breaks up clump pretty good. Worms don't like shovels as good since it tends to slice them into pieces.

If you're in the habit of collecting the worms in a bucket; have you tried learning how to fish? If you don't like fish; have you tried worms: Earthworms - Eat The Weeds and other things, too. If neither appeal to you; then I would just leave the worms work their magic and aerate your soil.
That garden fork, digging fork, has always been one of my favorite tools.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:41 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
We have a robin's nest right next to our compost pile. We enjoy watching the birds pick through for worms, then feed their chicks. .

Pretty interesting watching them move the compost edge and find the worms inside. I don't have many worms so I'm not thrilled about it. I also notice Robins don't take part in bird feed like all other birds do.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:42 AM

Very interesting to read about invasive earthworms, thanks Zoisite. I had encountered these many years back while looking for worms for fishing. They were in a low area (some moisture present) compost pile behind a very old brick house. My guess they found their way there during a planting over a hundred years ago. If I had known of their significance at the time I would have relocated some to other piles we were tending.

As for compost piles and fishing we used a 4-tine potato fork. Easy to pull a small pile apart and put back together with one. Example below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-4-T...3600/204507083

Great thread, many thanks to all.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:37 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,096,552 times
Earthworms are the best thing ever for your soil. Dump them somewhere shaded and let them do their job conditioning the soil. Those “specialized” worms you mentioned are only used because they can be “farm raised” and more easily distributed/marketed. Your earthworms are the real deal! Congratulations on your achievement

Old 06-28-2019, 07:56 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
I have a lot of compacted clay soil (not compost) in my yard. Would dropping a bunch of earthworms in help? or kill them?

Old 06-28-2019, 08:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I have a lot of compacted clay soil (not compost) in my yard. Would dropping a bunch of earthworms in help? or kill them?
Probably neither. The worms can get in there pretty good but I don’t think it would make a big impact.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
They would have to have something to eat

I would think best to amend soil first. If you need suggestions start another thread - "How To Amend Clay Soil".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden