Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 08:57 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I have a lot of compacted clay soil (not compost) in my yard. Would dropping a bunch of earthworms in help? or kill them?
I don't think it would do either but I don't think it would affect the soil. I have clay soil too and plenty of worms. The worms don't change the consistency of the soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 06:39 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
I don't bother to rub compost through a screen. Turning with a pitchfork is sufficient, and the worms are fine that way.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:09 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
I have a lot of compacted clay soil (not compost) in my yard. Would dropping a bunch of earthworms in help? or kill them?
Like all animals, earthworms live where they get enough food. If you dropped a bunch of earthworms in your yard, and they didn't find much food, most or all of them would die. Most likely, your yard is ready supporting all the earthworms it can. If you want to increase the number of earthworms, you'll have to increase the amount of food. You can do this by adding compost and/or organic mulches, like leaves. Corrugated cardboard mulch also works. Add the food, and they will come sooner or later.

If you do add compost, don't dig it in deeply. Just kind of stir it into the top couple inches. Night crawlers and the like are burrowers, they'll come up to the surface and pull the organic matter down into their burrows. It's hard to add too much organic matter.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:31 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Like all animals, earthworms live where they get enough food. If you dropped a bunch of earthworms in your yard, and they didn't find much food, most or all of them would die. Most likely, your yard is ready supporting all the earthworms it can. If you want to increase the number of earthworms, you'll have to increase the amount of food. You can do this by adding compost and/or organic mulches, like leaves. Corrugated cardboard mulch also works. Add the food, and they will come sooner or later.

If you do add compost, don't dig it in deeply. Just kind of stir it into the top couple inches. Night crawlers and the like are burrowers, they'll come up to the surface and pull the organic matter down into their burrows. It's hard to add too much organic matter.

Thanks!
Some places where I dig are so clay compacted I had to wonder if a worm could actually make it's way thru! I'm practically pulling ready made pottery out of some places in the lawn!

Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I don't think it would do either but I don't think it would affect the soil. I have clay soil too and plenty of worms. The worms don't change the consistency of the soil.

I thought that by digging thru it, they might help aerate it some or loosen it. Thanks.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Some places where I dig are so clay compacted I had to wonder if a worm could actually make it's way thru! I'm practically pulling ready made pottery out of some places in the lawn!
You might try this - https://offbeathome.com/worm-tube-composting/

I never had occasion to, but this struck me as an interesting experiment.

Burrowing earthworms, over time, will help to loosen your soil. Choose n area of your yard - a future flower bed? - to improve, and concentrate on keeping it covered with organic matter. I was once part of an experiment to rejuvenate the soil under a group of of old fruit trees, involving putting down a deep layer - about a foot - of straw (not hay) right on top of the grass. Took a couple of years, but eventually there was a deep, spongy layer of organic matter, no longer identifiable as straw, on top of the soil. And plenty of earthworms. Once you have that, you can start planting flowers in it.

One of my favorite garden authors says that soil doesn't deepen, it "uppens". Sure, you can do a lot of digging and lifting if you want to, but it's really not necessary. All Ma does to make soil is add a layer of dead plant material in the fall and rain and snow on it according to the season in a particular area. Earthworms and other soil critters move in to turn the organic matter into rich soil. Works for her, it'll work for you too.

There's a great book on the importance and management of soil life - https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Half-N...qid=1561836119

Actually, there are several great books on this topic, but this is the one I enjoy the most.

Last edited by jacqueg; 06-29-2019 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-29-2019, 07:52 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
I thought that by digging thru it, they might help aerate it some or loosen it. Thanks.
We had heavy clay soil when we started gardening. It was a long process to change this. We mixed peat and compost in every year, and removed as many rocks as we could (many big clay lumps are actually rocks with clay stuck to them.) After success with the peat*, we used regular store bought garden soil plus our compost every year (my understanding is that peat is more for soil building, but low on usable organics for plants.) We also keep a layer of fallen leaves on our garden beds in the off season. That makes a big difference, IMO. The soil doesn't compact as much over the winter, plus you have the rain/snow leaching the leaf "tea" right into the garden.

The number of worms, pupae, isopods, and other invertibrates has probably quadrupled over our decade of work, and the soil is a nice brown color. Not "black earth" like I used to see at my grandmother's garden, but we keep working every year.

Other post was right about mixing compost in the top layer and letting the worms do the rest.

* Our compost is really high in mashed egg shells which helps balance the PH of using peat.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:01 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't bother to rub compost through a screen. Turning with a pitchfork is sufficient, and the worms are fine that way.
I was wondering if it was part if a potting mix. I might screen that. The compost that went into my yard never got screened.

My husband once told me that he was going to drive a few miles down the road to buy some worms because he was going to go fishing. I introduced him to the compost pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden