Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 10:30 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,841 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used the Shrubbler low-flow irrigation system? I'm not sure if it would be described as a drip or a mini-spray type, because they are adjustable to use as either.

I can't find any user reviews on it other than the ones on the manufacturer's web site.

https://www.dripworks.com/shrubblers

Lee Valley Tools sells components and kits

Shrubbler® Drip System - Lee Valley Tools

Any real-world experiences in a home garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I have several in my drip system, and the work just fine. They are more like a really small sprinkler head, which is needed to get the low volume water to all the roots around the shrub. Just a drip emitter would only reach one small part of the root system. You can turn it down to a drip level, but the drip emitters are a lot cheaper for that, a bag of 50 1gph is only $12.
Buy and use what’s appropriate for each plant. With some planning it’s an inexpensive way to save water and your time. I have two systems each with a separate timer.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have several in my drip system, and the work just fine. They are more like a really small sprinkler head, which is needed to get the low volume water to all the roots around the shrub. Just a drip emitter would only reach one small part of the root system. You can turn it down to a drip level, but the drip emitters are a lot cheaper for that, a bag of 50 1gph is only $12.
Buy and use what’s appropriate for each plant. With some planning it’s an inexpensive way to save water and your time. I have two systems each with a separate timer.
Thanks so much! That is what I assumed from the descriptions I have read, and it sounds like a good fit for my situation. We recently removed an east-facing porch but kept the roof so that what we now have is a sort of portico planting bed, which means the back 50% of it never even gets any rainfall. Right now there are only a half dozen shrubs in it but the plan this fall and next spring is to put in a few more plus fill in with perennials. So at this stage there are only individual shrubs (rhodies and azaleas) needing watering but eventually the planting will become more dense. I won't use mulch anywhere near the house because of a former horrific experience with artillery fungus.

One reservation I do have is the 5" stake that the shrubblers are on top of, because the soil is rocky clay and often hard to dig into at all, let alone insert a plastic stake which is as likely to hit a rock as not. One seller's description says that the stake can be broken off into a "barb" instead; is the barb for inserting the Shrubbler directly into the water line, or is it just a shorter length stake for ground insertion?

I also wonder if it would be okay to attach the system to the spigot with a quick connect? Because I will occasionally need to use those same hose spigots for things other than the drip/spray watering (washing car, washing down driveway, etc etc) and my hoses all have quick-connect fittings.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Thanks so much! That is what I assumed from the descriptions I have read, and it sounds like a good fit for my situation. We recently removed an east-facing porch but kept the roof so that what we now have is a sort of portico planting bed, which means the back 50% of it never even gets any rainfall. Right now there are only a half dozen shrubs in it but the plan this fall and next spring is to put in a few more plus fill in with perennials. So at this stage there are only individual shrubs (rhodies and azaleas) needing watering but eventually the planting will become more dense. I won't use mulch anywhere near the house because of a former horrific experience with artillery fungus.

One reservation I do have is the 5" stake that the shrubblers are on top of, because the soil is rocky clay and often hard to dig into at all, let alone insert a plastic stake which is as likely to hit a rock as not. One seller's description says that the stake can be broken off into a "barb" instead; is the barb for inserting the Shrubbler directly into the water line, or is it just a shorter length stake for ground insertion?

I also wonder if it would be okay to attach the system to the spigot with a quick connect? Because I will occasionally need to use those same hose spigots for things other than the drip/spray watering (washing car, washing down driveway, etc etc) and my hoses all have quick-connect fittings.
Don't break off the barb. Use a spike, or sharp stick to make the hole first, then insert the stake. If you hit a rock try an inch or so over. The "barb" is to connect directly to 1/2" tubing. You could also use that if you had your own stakes, perhaps metal and then use zip-ties to attach the hose to the metal stake.
Quick connects are fine as long as you have a filter in the line, at least a screen. I use a brass two-way splitter on my faucets, with a hose on one and the drip timer on the other. If you are only watering once a week or so you don't need a timer but they are pretty cheap and easy to use.

Last edited by Hemlock140; 07-08-2019 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 05:52 PM

Thanks yet again.

I'm seriously thinking of getting this Shrubbler kit from Lee Valley Tools. They do have an in-line filter as part of the package, and I do have a brass splitter somewhere in my bag of tricks already. :-)

Shrubbler® Drip System - Lee Valley Tools

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a Sneeboer or DeWit dibbler, and those spike/stakes might just provide one, come to think of it, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden