Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 04:32 PM

1,056 posts, read 724,898 times

Advertisements

All the states I've been to (besides Tennessee, of course):
--Arkansas (twice)
--Alabama (once, just passing through)
--Georgia (once)
--Kentucky (several times)
--Louisiana (once, just passing through)
--Mississippi (once, just passing through)
--North Carolina (once, barely - technically twice if going, but not staying, two days in a row in a single vacation counts)
--Texas (once)

Have I seen any in each of those states? (not counting dead-looking or clearly dead Chinese Windmill Palms):
--Numerous in Dallas. I don't remember what the tree-like ones looked like, but based on their climate and location, I would guess they were either Cabbage Palmettos or Californian Fan Palms.
--I probably passed right by many Dwarf Palmettos growing wild in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama (on my way to/from Dallas), but because that was in April 2016 (when I was barely 13 and still didn't know palms can be shrubs), I never noticed/paid attention to them.
--The one time I went to Atlanta, I was so unhappy to be there (I had an irrational fear of leaving the state until shortly after I turned 13) that I never paid any attention. The same can be said for all but the final two times I visited Kentucky, and I never noticed any (although to be fair, I was only briefly passing through a small town one of those times) either of those.
--When I went to North Carolina, my whole time spent there was in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Therefore, I didn't see any due to being in a national park where they aren't native; not that the hemiboreal climate of the montane spruce-fir forests would be conducive to their survival anyways.

As for the places in Tennessee I've seen them (in person and outdoors only, again not counting dead or injured Chinese Windmill Palms)...
--Cookeville, TN - A nursery at the junction of S. Willow Avenue and Fairground St. carries European Fan Palms off and on during summer and late spring, and they don't seem to be the type of nursery to carry houseplants.
--Celina, TN - There's a small palm planted in front of Doris' Diner. I couldn't tell what type it is, but it's not a Needle Palm (they have tough leaves and thorny stems, both of which are easy to identify), nor is it a Chinese Windmill (the palm isn't a trunking palm). Of every palm I've seen (even if you count dead ones too, which I wouldn't), the one in Celina is the northernmost.
--Hendersonville, TN - The Streets of Indian Lake was the first place outside of Dallas I ever noticed any. The four Chinese Windmill Palms appeared to be dead as of May 2018 (although one might've been just severely injured), but there were two Needle Palms for every Chinese Windmill Palm that appeared to be healthy and getting quite big.
--Pigeon Forge/Sevierville, TN - On our way back from Clingman's Dome, I was in disbelief to notice a HEALTHY, decent-sized Chinese Windmill Palm (as opposed to dead ones I've seen in Hendersonville, Baxter and Algood) near the border between Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. This was in mid-April 2019, and seeing subtropical scenery on the way back was a stark difference to the frosted subalpine conifers (even for mountain weather, we were unlucky to get a low in the teens and high near freezing at the summit) we saw near the summit.
--Baxter/Buffalo Valley, TN - We're attempting to grow two Needle Palms in a part sun/part shade part of our backyard. We planted them in late April and have surrounded them with mulch, both to increase their chances of surviving the 2019-2020 winter.

What's the northernmost you've seen, compared to the northernmost place you've been and every palm you've seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
I saw a palm in Seattle, but I don't know what kind it was.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:41 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,379,741 times
There a few in Vancouver BC close to the water. I don't know what steps are taken to protect them.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:57 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
There is a palm about a block away from my BIL's place in Hobbs, NM. I killed a Majesty Palm I tried to grow here in Colorado. Poor Palmy!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
I've seen them in both Oregon and Washington on the we(s)t side of the Cascades.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:05 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
hotel lobby in Iceland.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Scotland.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I live in northeast TN, and I know a few hobbyists keeping short palms the size of a large bush.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:09 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,153 times
I assume you mean unprotected palms that are permanently planted, and not moved inside for the winter? There are palms in Scotland.

If you're talking about feathered palms like date palms, then there are some in coastal Norfolk, UK. Plenty of Canary Island date palms in London and the south coast of England.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:10 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Ireland. Many of them there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden