Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,478 times

Advertisements

Lorrie, I've never seen such beautiful geraniums!

We plant ten or more containers with white begonias. here in Charlotte they last until Thanksgiving.
I also plant deep purple wave petunias with ruby red geraniums in containers on my deck.

In the garden itself, I love those new little Profusion zinnias. They are only about six- eight inches high and spread like mad.

I've recently discovered purslane - it's eaten as a vegetable in some parts of Europe. I've bought the ornamental type here. Lovely colors and needs little care. A member of the portulaca family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:14 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
southward bound:
I skipped the other replies just because I don't have the time right now to read them, I'll get there eventually. My wife and I grow old fashion marigolds every year. We gather the seeds in the fall and replant in the late spring. She got the seeds from her mother and her mother got them from her mother. The flowers are nice, nothing exceptional, but nice. Even if there wasn't a family history, we'd plant these if they were available.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:07 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
I"m getting into all sort of marigolds this year.

I never knew there were so many varieties.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:07 AM

142 posts, read 294,206 times
Oh, there are so many I absolutely adore it's hard to choose. But, best bang for the buck is impatiens for shade and marigolds for sun. I love the scent of marigolds though I know a lot of other people don't.

I just planted a bed with tall annuals. Cleomes, Rocket Snapdragons, Cosmos, Zinnias, and Salvias. I can't wait until they reach full size and bloom. I think it is going to look stunning.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Nice older thread to resurrect. I have shade, so I like the various begonias. In the right spot, they will bloom for months with little care. I also like the rex begonias, which I use like annuals, outside in the shade.

For immediate color, I like to plant purple sweet potato vine and wandering jew. The latter actually acts like a perennial here in Zone 8. I love the constant mounds of purple throughout the growing season,

Every year I plant a small bed of sweet alyssum around the feet of a couple of rose bushes.

And I planted a couple of fuschias this year as an experiment. They are in a shady planter. We’ll see if they do OK as we get warmer.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:01 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I can't stand annuals. Well, what I can't stand is the price and that you only have them for three months.

I admire snapdragons though. The bright colors, the height, the snappy flowers. This year, being a bad year for getting out and buying flowers, the only annuals I have are some hanging petunias and there will be giant zinnias that I planted from seed.

Those sweet potato vines are gorgeous though. I bought one once, it was relatively expensive, I got attached to it, and then boom. End of season. Dead. So I think snapdragons are probably the most practical annual. They don't constantly have to be deadheaded like petunias either.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't stand annuals. Well, what I can't stand is the price and that you only have them for three months.

I admire snapdragons though. The bright colors, the height, the snappy flowers. This year, being a bad year for getting out and buying flowers, the only annuals I have are some hanging petunias and there will be giant zinnias that I planted from seed.

Those sweet potato vines are gorgeous though. I bought one once, it was relatively expensive, I got attached to it, and then boom. End of season. Dead. So I think snapdragons are probably the most practical annual. They don't constantly have to be deadheaded like petunias either.
We have longer springs here. I’d be irritated too if I only got three months out of annuals. I plant my sweet alyssum in April, and it is good for about 5 months. Begonias go the distance as well. It takes awhile for sweet potato vine to get going, but it looks marvelous right up to frost.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:27 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I planted Nasturtium seeds. They're pretty and I can also eat them. I'm a bit annoyed because I planted seven seeds and only three sprouted. That's pathetic. It's early enough to plant more.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
I got some snapdragons last year from Costco and they were fussy in the beginning, I thought they were going to die, but then they got established and hit their prime and looked nice.

This year I got petunias from Costco and so far I think I like them better than the snapdragons. They've taken off from the start, and they are very vibrant. I would get them again.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:34 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Geraniums!, but I never put them in the ground. I really like Gerbera daisies, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden