Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 02:49 PM

195 posts, read 273,793 times

Advertisements

Year after year I battle with the weeds in my yard here in Phoenix.
I'm just not manually pulling them this year, its back breaking.

What's the best product to just spray and kill everything. I have no grass, its just rockscape.
Also, what's the best "tool" to applicate it?

I'll call a yard crew if need be, but is there anything DIY to save a little cash?
Attached Thumbnails
Best product to kill all weeds in yard?-yard.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 04:56 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Simple. Just use RoundUp. Get a pump sprayer and follow directions, spraying only the stuff you want to kill. Landscapers and homeowners have done it for 30 years. It takes about a week for small weeds to die, while large ones over six inches tall might need a second dose after a week. I prefer sprayers that are battery operated.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Simple. Just use RoundUp. Get a pump sprayer and follow directions, spraying only the stuff you want to kill. Landscapers and homeowners have done it for 30 years. It takes about a week for small weeds to die, while large ones over six inches tall might need a second dose after a week. I prefer sprayers that are battery operated.
True, but no sense in wasting money on name brand RoundUp. There's too many generics of glyphosate out there.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:44 PM

195 posts, read 273,793 times
Quote:
I have the 1gallon manual pump sprayers and it doesn't really output much and seemingly takes forever.

Can you recommend a better sprayer since I have a larger lot to cover?

Old 12-28-2019, 06:03 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
You want to kill everything? I mean EVERYTHING? Then yes, roundup will do the trick. It’ll get down to the roots of trees and shrubs and take them out too. You’ll be nothing but hardscape. Previous owner of my house accidentally wiped out 12 year old leyland Cyprus trees, rose bushes, azalea bushes, and several others due to an error (thought it’ll be was using pesticide instead).

Amazon “backpack battery powered sprayer”. You’ll see a few - 4 gallon, works extremely well.

Wear long pants, tube socks, and wash all down with garden hose before tossing into laundry.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:34 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Also, make sure you wash your sprayer out really well after using Roundup (just spray some clear water should do the trick(, especially if you're going to use it for selective spraying next time. You don't want any residuals left when you use again.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:44 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Please don't.

https://ecologycenter.org/factsheets...-with-roundup/

Old 12-28-2019, 06:58 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
Roundup is an endocrine disruptor in humans. As someone with a disrupted endocrine system (hypothyroid, low adrenals), I highly recommend doing all you can to keep your endocrine system healthy.

I'll bet having someone rototill your yard would be a lot cheaper than a year's worth of my medication and lab tests.

Then put in some native plants--they're great. They'll make your property a few degrees cooler than the rockscape.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:10 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
I constantly see attorney ads on tv for Roundup users who have cancer to join a lawsuit. Please be careful. Besides killing weeds, you could be killing yourself, your family and pets.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:22 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
You want to kill everything? I mean EVERYTHING? Then yes, roundup will do the trick. It’ll get down to the roots of trees and shrubs and take them out too. You’ll be nothing but hardscape. Previous owner of my house accidentally wiped out 12 year old leyland Cyprus trees, rose bushes, azalea bushes, and several others due to an error (thought it’ll be was using pesticide instead).

Amazon “backpack battery powered sprayer”. You’ll see a few - 4 gallon, works extremely well.

Wear long pants, tube socks, and wash all down with garden hose before tossing into laundry.
I'm sorry but that's BS. Either they had to spray the Roundup all over the entire trees and shrubs, or they put down some type of soil sterilant. There's no way spraying weeds with Roundup will kill trees and shrubs, if it did all of mine would have been dead years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden