Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 10:36 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times

Advertisements

I switched to Spectracide after Roundup and glyphosate came under scrutiny. The Spectracide doesn't contain glyphosate. It's been doing a great job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 11:02 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
If you’re concerned about your surrounding plants, pets, and children, then Roundup, perhaps, is your best bet.

Spectracide vs Roundup –
https://www.essentialhomeandgarden.c...de-vs-roundup/

I've been using Round-Up regularly for over 40 years and yet to have any physical problems much less cancer.
The ads by lawyers say "Hodginson's disease may be caused by Round-Up". Not 100% proven but still scares some people. Juries will award anything when spoofed by high priced lawyers.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:06 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
Year after year I battle with the weeds in my yard here in Phoenix.
I'm just not manually pulling them this year, its back breaking.

What's the best product to just spray and kill everything. I have no grass, its just rockscape.
Also, what's the best "tool" to applicate it?

I'll call a yard crew if need be, but is there anything DIY to save a little cash?
Easy.... Use Roundup Kills Weeds "NOT LAWN" spray. You're going to love it for under $30.. It's going to take time to get your lawn up to speed but first thing is first. Get those weeds. Read those instructions.

2 easy ways to apply.. Attach your hose to the spray and start spraying. See link.
Buy the 32 oz concentrate and use a pump sprayer to spray. Scroll down link.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:28 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Easy.... Use Roundup Kills Weeds "NOT LAWN" spray. You're going to love it for under $30.. It's going to take time to get your lawn up to speed but first thing is first. Get those weeds. Read those instructions.

2 easy ways to apply.. Attach your hose to the spray and start spraying. See link.
Buy the 32 oz concentrate and use a pump sprayer to spray. Scroll down link.
I don't understand your answer. The OP doesn't have a lawn he needs to save. Glyphosphate will kill grass just as easily as broad leaf weeds, so that product has to contain some other ingredient which doesn't affect grass. It's not really Roundup as we know it although it has the brand name.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:23 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,546,655 times
I don’t know what weeds are growing but couldn’t the OP simply get a typical pre-emergent weed killer? Have a landscape company rake it out and apply the pre-emergent. Then add some natural aggregate. Will have to re-apply once a year.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:45 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Quote:
I have the 1gallon manual pump sprayers and it doesn't really output much and seemingly takes forever.

Can you recommend a better sprayer since I have a larger lot to cover?
Hudson sprayer is 3 gallons but heavy so put it in wagon or atv. Northern tool has a one gallon sprayer that runs on D cell batteries for small yards. If you have a huge lot and no good plants to avoid there are pull behind 25 gallon sprayers. Check Agri supply

And yes there are generics. People are just more familiar with Roundup brand. The ingredient to look for is glyphosate. And if you get a highly concentrated version be sure to dilute it adequately. That is , follow directions.

And, i forgot that some brilliant marketing guy decided to use the name Roundup for other herbicides too. You want glyphosate period. That would be like deciding to use the name Starbucks for a redwine too. Rather confusing.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:08 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Quote:

What's the best product to just spray and kill everything. I have no grass, its just rockscape.

I'll call a yard crew if need be, but is there anything DIY to save a little cash?
Buy a GOAT? If city ordinances allow it. Pygmy goats are so cute and they will eat anything, including a few things you might not want them to. Tether them to a post and light chain and make sure they have shade and water plus protection. If you have kids they will love them.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:11 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
This should work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMlJaaqlN8

Last edited by WRM20; 12-29-2019 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Fix link

Old 12-29-2019, 12:15 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,553,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm sorry but that's BS. Either they had to spray the Roundup all over the entire trees and shrubs, or they put down some type of soil sterilant. There's no way spraying weeds with Roundup will kill trees and shrubs, if it did all of mine would have been dead years ago.
He did spray the trees and shrubs (hence the mixup with thinking pesticide). My understanding is he got stung by a bee, was drunk, and grab the wrong thing or didn’t think any different. He sprayed several of the leylands that died, shrubs and bushes. Reason why I paid less than $0.70 on the dollar for the house several years later.

Neighbors took over on a row of leylands that acted like privacy barrier to keep them alive and spent thousands in root treatments to reverse the effect. He sprayed the ground in that area and not the trees directly in that area, but sprayed enough to cause damage to the matured trees (took about 3 months to realize what was happening to them). It was absolutely roundup he used.

We have several mature river birch, Japanese maples, and zelkova trees that have received a lot of professional attention since we took over to get them back to full health. They weren’t dead, but not very pretty either and trending downward when we took over. 4 years later, they are all strong and healthy again. Deep root fertilizer and some type of medicine was used a few times to repair, get the damaged roots out of the system and promote the growth of new in the soil around each.

You know me. I have a series of sprays I use for weed control. None are Roundup!

Old 12-29-2019, 12:51 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times
Quote:

Call a landscaper because whatever you do to kill the weeds they will come back eventually via birds or the wind. To me, the best defence is good strong healthy grass. Weeds won't grow in healthy grass. Get a landscaper to destroy the weeds currently there and then to later come back and either lay sod or plant grass then get a good service to maintain it by doing aerating and seeding every fall and fertilizing and weed control starting in the early spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden