Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 11:08 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times

Advertisements

Have around an acre plus in which I've hired a pro to grade this sloped area that was formerly pretty much a junk field that has taken some time to clear. He is to smooth it out and get the rocks and a few stumps out. Then add dirt where needed and seed/straw all of it. While we've had a cooler than normal Spring so far it can of course turn hot and dry here at any time. It is large enough that I will not be able to water it. How late in the season, considering Virginia weather, could I expect this job to be done successfully?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 01:32 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,054,327 times
To me, ideally, it's best to put seed down in Sept/October. 1. Falling leaves give protection to the seed, and the cool weather will help with germination. Plus where I live, we always get a rainy season in the fall. AND once all the leaves are gone, You'll have sunshine in the spring, that will prompt the grass to grow nice and thick, before the trees are completely leafed out. (This is my reasoning.)

But I've heard there's never a 'bad' time to put down seed. (But...I think optimal is in the fall. )

Old 05-05-2020, 02:28 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,836,424 times
I tried growing grass last fall but none of the little grass that sprouted survived when winter was over. I put down more seed around April 1st, same bag of seeds... This week in May, it seems like most seeds turned to grass unlike the 1st time when less than 50% sprouted. So for some reason, Spring worked better than the fall for me here in MA.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:01 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
I tried growing grass last fall but none of the little grass that sprouted survived when winter was over. I put down more seed around April 1st, same bag of seeds... This week in May, it seems like most seeds turned to grass unlike the 1st time when less than 50% sprouted. So for some reason, Spring worked better than the fall for me here in MA.

I'm no expert at all. We are further southwest from you, and had a milder winter this year, so maybe that made a difference.

Where I planted the seed, there are a lot of trees, so I wanted to give the seed/new grass a head start on getting sunshine, before the trees were leafed out. It worked for me. lol

Old 05-05-2020, 09:33 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,572,424 times
Hey amigo, good to see you outside of the craziness of the nova thread!

You can do it pretty much whenever you want, just modify the fertilizer you use to get it going. In the fall, it’s pretty much heavy dosage starter fertilizer to feed it while it slowly germinates. Now as it’s cool out, you could get away with the heavy duty, but would suggest sticking with the 10-10-10 general fertilizer.

But my advice, to really get it going - call Loudoun Milling in Hamilton and pick up a bunch of Alfalfa Meal and Soybean Meal. Enough of each to really get a good amount down on the fresh soil and seed. Then don’t touch it for about 3 weeks. Should be looking great after that. It’ll stink like hot garbage for a couple days in week 2, which is exactly what you want as it’s the soybean breaking down into the soil. I would also suggest the tall fescue from southern states (they have one in Winchester) as the seed. I’ve been using their house brand for years, and it’s excellent grass seed. The alfalfa and soybean will basically ensure every seed germinates a sprouts. Especially the soybean and it’s high protein and fats (which causes the stink).

I’ve grown grass all the way into October. Basically if the ground is over 50 degrees, I can make it grow. Just depends on which type of fertilizer to get it going, and I’ve yet to see anything as good as the alfalfa and soybean meal combo. Make sure it’s the “meal†and not the pellets, unless if you want to feed every rabbit, squirrel, and birds within a 5 mile radius!

Old 05-06-2020, 05:24 AM

83,581 posts, read 75,560,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Have around an acre plus in which I've hired a pro to grade this sloped area that was formerly pretty much a junk field that has taken some time to clear. He is to smooth it out and get the rocks and a few stumps out. Then add dirt where needed and seed/straw all of it. While we've had a cooler than normal Spring so far it can of course turn hot and dry here at any time. It is large enough that I will not be able to water it. How late in the season, considering Virginia weather, could I expect this job to be done successfully?
In Virginia? I say you missed it. It's going to be 80s and 90s in 1-2 months there. Not enough time for grass to strengthen and not get damaged or weak from the heat.

I suggest you do a small test area instead of waste money on the entire project only to see it not workout.

Then again, if we don't have a bad hot summer, you'll be fine. lol

Good luck

Old 05-06-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
In Virginia? I say you missed it. It's going to be 80s and 90s in 1-2 months there. Not enough time for grass to strengthen and not get damaged or weak from the heat.

I suggest you do a small test area instead of waste money on the entire project only to see it not workout.

Then again, if we don't have a bad hot summer, you'll be fine. lol

Good luck
Bigfoot and I live near each other. He can do it now without problem. I've grown grass in the dead of summer here after killing off certain areas of my lawn via tree trimmings that sat too long before getting picked up.

The alfalfa meal and soybean meal on top of the seed is really helpful to get it to germinate and grow quickly. Soybean has a bunch of fats and proteins that grass seed LOVES and will react to it in about 3 weeks time, regardless of heat.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:49 AM

83,581 posts, read 75,560,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Bigfoot and I live near each other. He can do it now without problem. I've grown grass in the dead of summer here after killing off certain areas of my lawn via tree trimmings that sat too long before getting picked up.

The alfalfa meal and soybean meal on top of the seed is really helpful to get it to germinate and grow quickly. Soybean has a bunch of fats and proteins that grass seed LOVES and will react to it in about 3 weeks time, regardless of heat.
I wonder if its because you have warm season turf mixed in. Young Rye and Fescue seedlings don't like the heat until established. Also, if summer doesn't have a heat wave, you can be successful at it too. But that's hard to predict.

I too have successfully grown grass in Spring but when planted in April and I'm north of you. That Virginia sun and heat even for 1 day will torch those new seedlings unless its warm season grass which love it.

Friend of mine cant understand why he's not successful planting seeds in Spring. So many don't germinate or make it through the summer, some do make it but overall its thin looking. Fall is the best time IMO. Or early Spring but I like using Spring for killing weeds instead.

Good tip on the alfalfa meal and soybean meal

Old 05-06-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I wonder if its because you have warm season turf mixed in. Young Rye and Fescue seedlings don't like the heat until established. Also, if summer doesn't have a heat wave, you can be successful at it too. But that's hard to predict.

I too have successfully grown grass in Spring but when planted in April and I'm north of you. That Virginia sun and heat even for 1 day will torch those new seedlings unless its warm season grass which love it.

Friend of mine cant understand why he's not successful planting seeds in Spring. So many don't germinate or make it through the summer, some do make it but overall its thin looking. Fall is the best time IMO. Or early Spring but I like using Spring for killing weeds instead.

Good tip on the alfalfa meal and soybean meal
I'm 100% tall fescue grass via Southern States Coop brand.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:27 PM

8,084 posts, read 10,105,696 times
In less you have water and can get it on every couple of days before the soil dries out, it is too late.

The seed will germinate, and start to grow, but then it will fry in the summer heat, Yes, of course, you might get lucky and have a cool wet summer, but if you go with "normal" climate, you should wait until autumn when it is cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden