Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have heard the only way to really get rid of it is to burn it out. Sort of like kudzu or something.
Not necessarily. You need 1.) Time, patience and muscle 2.) A good pick axe. 3.) Round Up.

When you see the fresh sprouts coming up, use the point on the pick axe to begin digging the root up. Dig as much as you can. Chop up anything that you cannot physically pull out of the ground. Then douse it with Round Up and keep returning to douse again.

Eliminate and work your way slowly towards the main growth area. It took me three years to get rid of it. It required a lot of monitoring and vigilance and repeated attacks on the "network."

No way I will ever plant it in my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What if the metal shifts? All a bamboo root needs is a slight gap and it will blast through and multiply.
If you bury the metal, it should work.

barrier

That's what I was thinking of. Most bamboo sites recommend high density plastic.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 AM

Interesting, but I will stick with perhaps one concrete planter's worth.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,155,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Interesting, but I will stick with perhaps one concrete planter's worth.
I had mine in an old wine barrel. It was great when the bamboo started poking runners through the cracks in the wood. I also say it on a concrete slab to keep it from getting out of control.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:03 PM

301 posts, read 1,546,716 times
I found some that grows in bunches.I'm going to give it a shot at transplanting some this Saturday.I need a barrier and I hate fences.I may hate bamboo sometime in the future also.But I'm will to take the chance.Its going in a place far away from anything important.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:12 AM

In Florida with all that rain? Don't do it.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
I wonder what ours is?
It is about 6 feet tall now, was planted before we moved in (a year ago).
It has not spread at all. I'd take a pic and post it, but my kid has borrowed the camera for a couple weeks.
Ours too is not in a place we care much about, we have natural vegetation in the common area between our house and the neighbor's, but I would not want that common area to become all bamboo.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Bamboo - how invasive is it?

More than in your wildest dreams.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,112 times
Glad I found this thread!

I was thinking about bamboo-

I have a major water problem that just won't dry up at the back of my 3 acres of land. I live at the top of the hill next to the road and at the back of my house starts the drop off slope to the bottom. Then back an acre to a pasture.

When they cleared the land for the pasture it was the next few years I saw their water runoff dumping into my land.

It's now swampy and even in summer won't dry up. Someone said bamboo would help if I planted it at the back at the fenceline...to help prevent water from coming in and it would soak up all the water.

Bad idea?

Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Glad I found this thread!

I was thinking about bamboo-

I have a major water problem that just won't dry up at the back of my 3 acres of land. I live at the top of the hill next to the road and at the back of my house starts the drop off slope to the bottom. Then back an acre to a pasture.

When they cleared the land for the pasture it was the next few years I saw their water runoff dumping into my land.

It's now swampy and even in summer won't dry up. Someone said bamboo would help if I planted it at the back at the fenceline...to help prevent water from coming in and it would soak up all the water.

Bad idea?
Bamboo will drink up the water but you have to keep an eye on it or it will take over the place. Thining it out is a pain. It's sturdy stuff and grows underground and suddenly springs up to 8' or so. It grows very quickly after it germinates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden