Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 04:13 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

What a disappointment. I bought two bare root fruit trees from Costco. I've always gotten good bare root fruit trees from there.

The apricot tree only has two little threads about 4 inches long and no other roots. I potted the tree today and I cut it back really hard, removing about 4/5 of the branches. Then it's "fingers crossed", but I can't see how it is going to make it with no roots.

I'm sure Costco will give me a refund if the tree doesn't live, but it isn't so much about the money. It is about losing an entire year of growth if I have to start again next year with another tree.

The other tree, a 5 variety combo apple tree doesn't have a generous root system, but it does have roots and I hope it will make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 04:20 PM

I have three more trees, but they are staying at the spa until the weather warms up.

A local nursery pots their bare roots and them keeps them in a greenhouse until May. I picked out a combo cherry and two pear trees and they are living in the greenhouse with my name on them.

The trees at that nursery have large bright red "sold" tags and I drive by and I can see those two enormous green houses filled with trees wearing red tags.

Their trees are leafing out with enthusiasm, so there is no way that they could be moved outdoors now. They would freeze to death with all that tender new growth.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:32 PM

Update on my root-free apricot tree (goldcot).

The little rascal has a full set of healthy looking leafs. I'm not sure that it is going to survive because the branches aren't flexible.

However, I'm going to leave it in the pot and bring it into the shop over the winter to protect it and not plant it out until next year. If it is actually growing a root system, I am afraid that I will break the baby roots off when I dump the tree out of its pot to plant it.

The rest of the trees are already planted in the ground: two pear trees (Moonglow and Bosc), a combination apple tree (which includes Honeycrisp) and a combination cherry tree (which includes Ranier)

We are in the middle of a heat wave, but the trees all seem happy, so the heat isn't bothering them as much as I feared.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Be sure to water them now with this nasty heat. I didn't see this post until today, but with so few roots what I would have suggested is using some rooting hormone on them when planting. Do you have any willow trees around there? You can chop up some branches and boil in water, let the water cool and water the trees with it. The Salicylic acid and Indolebutyric acid in the willow will help with root development.

Old 06-28-2021, 11:21 AM

I've used willow for rooting cuttings and it works like magic, but no willows around here.

I've never seen any difference in rooting cutting when using rooting hormone vs not using it, so I don't buy it.

Weather has been quite toasty this week but it doesn't look like the trees are minding it. I was worried about freshly transplanted tomato starts, but they are also hanging in there and not complaining.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We hit 105 yesterday and supposed to be 111 today. I have placed a silver tarp over the west side of the greenhouse to keep my plants from cooking. Even with that yesterday it got up to 115 inside, and I have tomatoes turning red that I would prefer to eat raw.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:10 AM

I discovered that all of my potted plants wanted water. They were not scheduled for a couple more days, so I had to rush around and water all of the potted plants. The heat makes them thirsty. I'll be checking them daily form now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden