Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 05:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

Always try the more conservative approach first; you can always go more extreme later.

Last edited by otterhere; 10-02-2022 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 05:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Seems like you should have a few arborists come to your property and see what each one has to say and get pricing.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:40 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,234 times
Default Zoisite: I wish I could do that......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Remove all of the pine trees.

but this is New York City.........and I have over 8 trees..........and they want over $1,000 per tree just to remove about 12 inches per tree...........which is all I can afford right now........I just want the ones that are big and strong because they are over 100 feet tall. Taller than the house........And every time I see the wind moving them..........I loose eight pounds of my body weight...............and I have lost 35 pounds........ LOL.

And how are you doing, my friend? Glad to hear from you.......

Old 10-04-2022, 02:48 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
but this is New York City.........and I have over 8 trees..........and they want over $1,000 per tree just to remove about 12 inches per tree...........which is all I can afford right now........I just want the ones that are big and strong because they are over 100 feet tall. Taller than the house........And every time I see the wind moving them..........I loose eight pounds of my body weight...............and I have lost 35 pounds........ LOL.

And how are you doing, my friend? Glad to hear from you.......

Sasie, have you investigated the chances of you selling your pine trees? Do you know what species of pines they are? Are they crooked and curved in places, or are the tree trunks thick and straight and even? I will second the advice given by ss20ts to get some consultations with arborists to come look at your trees and see what they advise you to do. If the trees are straight and in good condition perhaps you could get the tree's ID'ed and evaluated as potentially suitable trees to sell to a buyer for commercial purposes. An arborist may know who to recommend for that. If you can find a buyer for the trees they will pay you for them and will cut them down and remove them at their own cost. They might also take away the limbs that they cut off, but even if they don't it would cost you less to pay someone to remove the debris than it would cost to have the trees topped and limbed and still leave them standing. A $1,000 per tree to top them sure seems like a lot.

If I was going to have trees that tall topped off instead of completely removed I'd want to have them cut back down to 35 to 40 feet tall max. I don't know what else to suggest for trees 100 feet tall, other than to have them weighted down and braced so they don't become uprooted and tip over in a high wind. And even that will be no guarantee against the trees coming down onto your house or a neighbour's property or breaking in half or dropping big limbs if you end up getting hurricane force winds.

I hope you will let us know the final outcome of the fate of the trees.

I'm fine, thank you for asking. But still enduring a non-stop heat wave and drought that has been going on now for close to 4 months with no rain and no end in sight of the heat and drought. We have had lots of wildfires happening throughout the province and the sky is a haze of smoke .... but the sunsets are stunningly beautiful because of the smoke. This kind of heat and drought is very unusual for this part of North America where we generally get bearable temperatures and enough rain on a regular basis year round. So it's been a struggle for me to keep the trees and plants on the property alive over the summer but so far I'm holding my own. But I had to finally break down and get myself a portable air conditioner for inside my home though, it's the first time in my life that I've needed A/C. Sigh ..... I am getting way too old and rickety for this kind of nonsense so frankly I will welcome a really big dump of rain and some fresh, cool, smoke-free air as soon as possible.

Old 10-04-2022, 06:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Sasie, have you investigated the chances of you selling your pine trees? Do you know what species of pines they are? Are they crooked and curved in places, or are the tree trunks thick and straight and even? I will second the advice given by ss20ts to get some consultations with arborists to come look at your trees and see what they advise you to do. If the trees are straight and in good condition perhaps you could get the tree's ID'ed and evaluated as potentially suitable trees to sell to a buyer for commercial purposes. An arborist may know who to recommend for that. If you can find a buyer for the trees they will pay you for them and will cut them down and remove them at their own cost. They might also take away the limbs that they cut off, but even if they don't it would cost you less to pay someone to remove the debris than it would cost to have the trees topped and limbed and still leave them standing. A $1,000 per tree to top them sure seems like a lot.

If I was going to have trees that tall topped off instead of completely removed I'd want to have them cut back down to 35 to 40 feet tall max. I don't know what else to suggest for trees 100 feet tall, other than to have them weighted down and braced so they don't become uprooted and tip over in a high wind. And even that will be no guarantee against the trees coming down onto your house or a neighbour's property or breaking in half or dropping big limbs if you end up getting hurricane force winds.

I'm fine, thank you for asking. But still enduring a non-stop heat wave and drought that has been going on now for close to 4 months with no rain and no end in sight of the heat and drought. We have had lots of wildfires happening throughout the province and the sky is a haze of smoke .... but the sunsets are stunningly beautiful because of the smoke. This kind of heat and drought is very unusual for this part of North America where we generally get bearable temperatures and enough rain on a regular basis year round. So it's been a struggle for me to keep the trees and plants on the property alive over the summer but so far I'm holding my own. But I had to finally break down and get myself a portable air conditioner for inside my home though, it's the first time in my life that I've needed A/C. Sigh ..... I am getting way too old and rickety for this kind of nonsense so frankly I will welcome a really big dump of rain and some fresh, cool, smoke-free air as soon as possible.

Not to derail the thread, but friends just came back from and Alaskan cruise with a stop in BC and Mr. Rainier when back in Wa. They commented on how dry it was in BC and the haze and smoke in the air. Re: rain, please take some of ours, it has been raining here since Thursday and my bones are sick of it. The good news is jsut one more day of this rain. The results of Ian. Thankfully, we are not Florida.

Old 10-04-2022, 07:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,331,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I have a different suggestion. Many people would find those trees very valuable, valuable enough to uproot them and replant them.

I was watching one of P. Allen Smith's programmes on YouTube the other night. It was probably an older programme as he was in the middle building his Moss Mountain place. Anyway, he purchased some HUGE very old trees and had them moved by a professional and replanted at Moss Mountain. Sorry, but I do not recall the man's name or his company's name. I seem to recall that it might have had "Environmental" in the name.

Anyway, it is possible for highly skilled professionals to uproot and move very, very large old trees. So, before you cut them in any way, you may want to look into whether or not they could be sold for replanting. Those old beauties could bring you a tidy sum. It is worth looking into.

ETA: Take a look at the photos on this site (not sure it is the same company or not). If they can move trees this size, then they could move the trees on your property. I have no idea how much they might be worth, but I would look into if I were you. Eight gorgeous big trees might earn you enough to buy a pretty snazzy set of wheels.

http://<b>https://environmental-desi...ness.site/</b>
I mentioned looking into possibly selling the trees. It takes many years for trees to grow that big. They could be very valuable to the right buyer with deep pockets like P. Allen Smith. It would be a blessing to both your and the living trees if they could be moved to grace a more appropriate site.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Seems like you should have a few arborists come to your property and see what each one has to say and get pricing.
I Did.......

Old 10-08-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I mentioned looking into possibly selling the trees. It takes many years for trees to grow that big. They could be very valuable to the right buyer with deep pockets like P. Allen Smith. It would be a blessing to both your and the living trees if they could be moved to grace a more appropriate site.
I Have a back never that hates all trees, birds, etc......

Old 10-08-2022, 02:31 PM

23,267 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I Have a back never that hates all trees, birds, etc......

Old 10-08-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:

Hello, Zoisite: Thank you my friend for all the advice that you have given me throughout the years. Too old at this time of my life to deal with some........I had the trees over one hundred feet over the house, cut down to the first branch, they may live or not. They were/are beautiful Pine trees......and the people that came did an excellent job. the owner of the company is about 27 years' old, and to see him flying for two hours up in the sky, was delightful.....it only took him two hours.......they took all the wood chips and cuts into a special truck that cut them up, and haul them away..........it was worth the money I pay.........but, at the end, we had a little disagreement, because he wanted cold cash........and i only deal with checks.....then he wanted to charge me $75 for each check I wrote, which he never told me before..........so he left finally with a check made out to cash, and then ask me to put the name of his company next to it. He got a little out of hand with me, vocally, and I ask him to leave..........along with my spouse......and it was sad because i really love the fantastic job they did. there were four men working for him on the floor, while he flew up in the sky.....and had even told him that I had many more jobs for him waiting......I think he thought that he did not charge me enough, and was looking for more............it was great to hear from you.......take care, I think my gardening days are over..........my garden is full of weeds........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden