Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times

Advertisements

Are there any areas of Katy (south of I-10) that resemble the northern sides of Houston or Memorial Park with existing tall pine trees?

I love the areas north of Houston such as parts of Cypress, The Woodlands, Spring, Conroe with the forests of tall pines. The problem is that these areas are very far and inconvenient from most large employment centers.... if employment is west or southwest (Galleria, Westchase, Medical Center) the commute on Highway 290 would be too far and I'm told that road is a parking lot.

Are there similar communities in looks to the northern sides of Houston with the tall pines, that are still affordable for a large family on a budget (under $300k home) and on the west side of town with good public schools? One suggestion I've gotten before is possibly Kelliwood, but I am not familiar with this area, it looks small on a map and on streetview I didn't see many tall pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,808 times
Well Kelliwood, Green Trails, the areas around Northlake/Southlake Village would be about it for south Katy. As far as trees go, these are the more established neighborhoods, so their trees have grown.

But if what you've seen in Kelliwood won't do, well I don't know what to tell you. The topography of Katy is different than that of The Woodlands. These pines you see are man-planted, not part of the natural topography. To ask them to be as tall and dense as The Woodlands is akin to asking for sugar sand beaches in the mountains of Montana. Katy is, was, and always will be prairie... tall pines just don't come naturally to the area. Whatever someone planted in their front yard 20 years ago, you can see, but that's about it!

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM

234 posts, read 681,599 times
We got oaks & pecans in New Territory.... Pines in Sienna Plantation... more Oaks in First Colony... and a Big Tree Texas Nursery on Hwy 6.

Cheers

Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times
Isn't that the same prairie where Mayor Kathryn J. Whitmire wanted to build the third major airport? You know, they said they couldn't develop the area due to endangering the migration of birds. Just look now at that same prairie. I see Cinco Ranch, Grand Parkway, Katy Mills Mall. Where are those birds? Anothermajor airport would have been nice.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 PM

155 posts, read 542,246 times
The black birds come every year around this time..

Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Yeah Katy is where the prairies start. Pines are more native to E. Tx.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
I think the tall pines stick close to the bayou on the west side. Maybe near the bayou in Katy?

Anyway, I've cut down 3 and it's cost about 800 each to get those damn things down. I'll give you the last two behind the garage. I was suprised to find my garage still in one piece after Ike. I voted those two the less likely to stand.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:19 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,264,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I think the tall pines stick close to the bayou on the west side. Maybe near the bayou in Katy?

Anyway, I've cut down 3 and it's cost about 800 each to get those damn things down. I'll give you the last two behind the garage. I was suprised to find my garage still in one piece after Ike. I voted those two the less likely to stand.
I agree, I hate those tall skinny pines that look like tooth picks just waiting to snap in the wind and fall on your house. I wish the developers would just cut those down and plant new trees. We have several on both sides of our home and cringe every time there is a storm.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Developers put those down here, too. About 80% of them are big stick branches with green puffs on the ends with dead, scraggly wood in between. Good for logs, terrible ornamental value. Every year a number of them on the main streets die and get removed. There is a small pine forest on the east fringe (bayou side) of the area, but judging by the diameter of the trunks, they were planted and spread themselves out ~20 years ago.

South of I-10, Southern or Texas Live Oaks seem to look the best. Water Oaks are also good but suck the water out of the grass. Sweetgums are also nice if you don't step on the seeds barefooted. Pecan & crape myrtle seem to require some care to get established. You can take your chance with citrus; along the coast they actually survived last winter and came back this year with a vengeance.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Developers put those down here, too. About 80% of them are big stick branches with green puffs on the ends with dead, scraggly wood in between. Good for logs, terrible ornamental value. Every year a number of them on the main streets die and get removed. There is a small pine forest on the east fringe (bayou side) of the area, but judging by the diameter of the trunks, they were planted and spread themselves out ~20 years ago.

South of I-10, Southern or Texas Live Oaks seem to look the best. Water Oaks are also good but suck the water out of the grass. Sweetgums are also nice if you don't step on the seeds barefooted. Pecan & crape myrtle seem to require some care to get established. You can take your chance with citrus; along the coast they actually survived last winter and came back this year with a vengeance.
Agreed. I can't stand the tall, spindly trees with the green cotton puff at the top masquerading as pine trees. When we moved to TW, I kept looking for pine trees - REAL pine trees.

Like everyone else has said, you're not going to find much in terms of trees period in the Katy area except for what's been planted by developers.

You'd have better luck with mature trees in many older sections of Sugar Land and Missouri City than Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston