Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 08:04 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Not sure where are you located, but some regions are hit by caterpillar outbreak.
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/08/11266...illar-outbreak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2022, 02:03 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,333,854 times
Yes, that is exactly what they look like---tiny, spring green, and innocent looking, but talk about a mess!!! They decimated two big trees in the back, and all the leafs were strewn covered in silk all over the back drive, the back garden, the side garden, the front yard, and the courtyard. It happened so fast that I barely had time to respond. I shudder to think what next Spring will bring now. I thought birds would go after them but no such luck.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:33 PM

56 posts, read 43,326 times
Thanks

Old 10-09-2022, 08:39 PM

Things seem to be different after climate change

Old 10-09-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
There are no cuckoos in my area.
Where you living

Old 10-09-2022, 10:24 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
I have no ideal how to post pics. It looks like tiny caterpillar in green.

Go to your user control panel, on the left side you'll see pictures and albums, click on it. At the top it says add album right under "my settings" and where it says hipastore's albums. Put a title such as post stuff, make it public, hit submit. You'll see Click here to upload pictures! Navigate to where you have the photo, then upload. Go to the album, click the picture, it gives you links at the bottom for BB code. Just copy the 2nd one that looks like below, note I changed the brackets or it would post like the pic below.

{IMG}https://www.city-data.com/forum/members/roselvr-111253-albums-stuff-pic27750-bpimsn.jpg{/IMG}

Paste it here like this

Old 10-11-2022, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Go to your user control panel, on the left side you'll see pictures and albums, click on it. At the top it says add album right under "my settings" and where it says hipastore's albums. Put a title such as post stuff, make it public, hit submit. You'll see Click here to upload pictures! Navigate to where you have the photo, then upload. Go to the album, click the picture, it gives you links at the bottom for BB code. Just copy the 2nd one that looks like below, note I changed the brackets or it would post like the pic below.

{IMG}https://www.city-data.com/forum/members/roselvr-111253-albums-stuff-pic27750-bpimsn.jpg{/IMG}

Paste it here like this

Thanks, got it.

Old 10-12-2022, 02:21 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
Things seem to be different after climate change
Expand your horizons....Natural populations fluctuate naturally. An extreme example is the 17-yr cicada, and everybody is familiar with the deer/wolf population interaction....

...there are weather (not climate) related fluctuations. For example, we had a boom year here in WI in 2021 for butterflies, but a very cold, prolonged spring this year had populations way down, apparently decreasing the over-winter survival rate....That, in turn, put pressure on the populations of many birds, also seen in lower numbers this year than last....It'll return. After all, what is actually "normal?"-- the high numbers, the low numbers or the average over many cycles?

In regards this particular thread, westsideboy has a good post above about natural balance... If an infestation is not doing appreciable harm to the plants, let nature take it's course. If there is appreciable damage, then it's probably a situation of too little host plant for the number of invaders-- probably an artificial garden in an urban/suburban setting. The problem solves itself-- too little food and the population will fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden