Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 08:11 AM

942 posts, read 391,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have a gas-powered riding mower, and it cost half the price of an electric one, with no run time limit. A cordless electric is great for a small lawn like in newer developments.
No run time limit? How is that possible? It may run longer than a battery powered mower....... But when it runs out of gas (and it will), you've reached your run time limit. My battery powered mower has no run time limit either.......until the battery dies. But by then the other battery is fully charged.

I'll never have another gas powered push mower. Battery powered is so much more convenient for me. And since my weed eater uses the same battery, I actually have three batteries ready to use at any given time. I always hated having to run to the gas station to fill up a container and carry home in my trunk...... and then there's the oil changes and cleaning the air filters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 09:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
No run time limit? How is that possible? It may run longer than a battery powered mower....... But when it runs out of gas (and it will), you've reached your run time limit. My battery powered mower has no run time limit either.......until the battery dies. But by then the other battery is fully charged.

I'll never have another gas powered push mower. Battery powered is so much more convenient for me. And since my weed eater uses the same battery, I actually have three batteries ready to use at any given time. I always hated having to run to the gas station to fill up a container and carry home in my trunk...... and then there's the oil changes and cleaning the air filters.
Yes, but I can refill it in 2 minutes. You are smart to have 2 batteries, but most people don't. I agree, for a small lawn a gas push mower is not needed with inexpensive electric push mowers. I actually had a corded electric at a previous house with a small lawn, but had to replace the extension cord often after chopping it up.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:50 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
No, but my next one (if my old gas walk behind ever dies) will be.

I have about 1 1/2 acres or so in Hawaii to mow. My electricity source is solar, so it'd definitely be more eco friendly than gasoline. A neighbor has a couple electric mowers and is quite enthusiastic about them.

A previous tenant was of the opinion that it was too large of an area for walk behind and petitioned for a large riding mower with a lot of HP. I don't like riders because they're greedy with maintenance and gasoline. Besides, tenant tended to be lazy. We spend enough time sitting on thy butt indoors. Perhaps eventually a riding electric mower will look more attractive, but for now I will walk.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:49 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
No, but my next one (if my old gas walk behind ever dies) will be.

I have about 1 1/2 acres or so in Hawaii to mow. My electricity source is solar, so it'd definitely be more eco friendly than gasoline. A neighbor has a couple electric mowers and is quite enthusiastic about them.

A previous tenant was of the opinion that it was too large of an area for walk behind and petitioned for a large riding mower with a lot of HP. I don't like riders because they're greedy with maintenance and gasoline. Besides, tenant tended to be lazy. We spend enough time sitting on thy butt indoors. Perhaps eventually a riding electric mower will look more attractive, but for now I will walk.
That will be me, too.

Our lot is about 5000 sq ft with a slight slope (25-30 degrees?) across the entire backyard that begins about halfway back to the properly line.

I have a Fiskars reel mower and a gas mower. Both take about the same amount of time to mow the yard but there are times when the reel will not work (I let the grass get too tall or if I need to mow when the grass is not completely dry ... or, frankly, when I am too lazy to push the reel). The upside on the reel mower is that it is quiet (no ear protection needed) and no dealing with gas and exhaust. My trimmer has been battery-powered for years and I certainly do not miss dealing with a two-stroke engine with the noise and mixing oil/gas.

When the gas mower dies or I decide to replace it, a battery-operated one will be it. Same with our snowblower as the battery-operated two-stage snowblowers are getting great reviews. Unless we find ourselves living somewhere with a service as part of the occupancy.

Old 02-27-2023, 12:48 PM

463 posts, read 285,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
Really? Hard to believe?? You can swap batteries in the time it takes you to remove the gas cap on your gas mower. It's literally that fast!
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant the time to charge the battery......

Old 02-27-2023, 02:41 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
I have used an electric lawn mower since 1980. I always get a Black & Decker with a cord, so it is a true electric (not a battery) and I have to always watch the cord so I don't run over it. The lawn I cut is a quarter acre, minus the footprint of the house. The mowers last a long time, and there is no maintenance required; just plug it in and cut. However, I have had to take one in for service because the plug was not working properly, but that was the result of a design defect. After one has used an electric, a gas mower is a joke.

As for the environmental benefits, it all depends on the amount of pollution the power plant puts out to generate the power to power the electric lawn mower versus the amount of pollution the gas mower produces. I would hope that today's power generation technology is far enough advanced to make it worthwhile.

Old 02-27-2023, 04:40 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,312 times
"what are the advantages and disadvantages?"

ad:
1. zero maintenance.
2. almost zero noise.
3. no exhaust.

dis:
1. everything else.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:48 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipastore View Post
Compared with gas-powered lawnmowers, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

So we all know that electricity is a more eco-friendly resource and there are some states that have a law to limit gas-powered equipment, why there are so many gas-powered types of equipment exist now?
Mmm - not so sure it's more "eco-friendly". You've gotta go back to how the electricity was generated. Much of it is generated from coal fired plants.

I have a Honda, regular engine. At most, it runs about an hour a week during mowing season. That's not much pollution. Plus, it's about the only type mower that'll cut through thick zoysia grass.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:50 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I have used an electric lawn mower since 1980. I always get a Black & Decker with a cord, so it is a true electric (not a battery) and I have to always watch the cord so I don't run over it. The lawn I cut is a quarter acre, minus the footprint of the house. The mowers last a long time, and there is no maintenance required; just plug it in and cut. However, I have had to take one in for service because the plug was not working properly, but that was the result of a design defect. After one has used an electric, a gas mower is a joke.

As for the environmental benefits, it all depends on the amount of pollution the power plant puts out to generate the power to power the electric lawn mower versus the amount of pollution the gas mower produces. I would hope that today's power generation technology is far enough advanced to make it worthwhile.
Don't you ever have to sharpen or replace the blade?

Old 02-27-2023, 07:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I have this one
https://egopowerplus.com/21-inch-sel...rive-lm2120sp/

it works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden