Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cweekensd View Post
Dealing with a basil plant that's eager to flower can be quite the gardening challenge! It seems like your efforts to pinch off the flower growth are met with even more determination from your basil to bloom. While it's admirable that your plant is thriving, it can be frustrating when it's not behaving as expected.
If you're intrigued by the idea of shaping plants into miniature versions of themselves, you might find inspiration in the art of bonsai cultivation. This guide on bonsai for beginners delves into the principles and techniques behind growing bonsai trees: https://bonsaiforbeginners.com/guide. Who knows, you might discover a new passion for cultivating basil bonsai!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 312 times
Keep plucking the flowers, it will not bloom and new leaves will appear instead of flowering, prune it regularly, it will be more bushy and grow. If it continues to bloom, then collect the seeds and plant as advised above.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:19 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I've been pinching flower growth off my basil plant all spring and what happens is that it puts out two more sprouts that immediately set about flowering. It's been a tug of war and the basil is becoming a bonsai with lots of new shoots and divisions, all of which really just want to flower. What should I do with it?

if you're still around: eat it. Pluck some leaves and make pesto. Dry them and add to various tomato dishes.
or add to soups. Basil aint just a smell pretty plant.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:40 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Every year I grow a large basil plant and it grows and is used all season, then goes to seed in the fall. When that starts, I harvest the entire plant and make pesto for the winter. I gather seeds and compost what's left. Last year, the plant wanted to go to seed months early, which some people took as my inability to grow plants or something.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:18 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Every year I grow a large basil plant and it grows and is used all season, then goes to seed in the fall. When that starts, I harvest the entire plant and make pesto for the winter. I gather seeds and compost what's left. Last year, the plant wanted to go to seed months early, which some people took as my inability to grow plants or something.
not me. I think that's a great thing to do. I wonder if the seeds were getting old. Not each seed getting old but the plant itself getting old so giving off not to viable seeds.

I don't know-just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden