Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 06:29 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

I've been pinching flower growth off my basil plant all spring and what happens is that it puts out two more sprouts that immediately set about flowering. It's been a tug of war and the basil is becoming a bonsai with lots of new shoots and divisions, all of which really just want to flower. What should I do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 07:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
It's responding to the hours of light it's not getting now (daylight hours are decreasing now) and it wants to set seed. If it's in a pot you could try increasing light to 3 more daily hours of light than what it's getting now, that will slow down or stop flower growth but increase leaf growth.

Eat the flowers, they're sweet and delicious with a nice nectar and basil flavour. If you're getting lots of flowers off it trim them off, set aside to dry completely to use as a dried herb garnish on roasted or baked meats, in stews and soups, or sprinkled fresh on salads or you can infuse the dried flowers in a light cooking oil to provide a taste of basil to the oil.

Old 07-25-2023, 05:10 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I've been pinching flower growth off my basil plant all spring and what happens is that it puts out two more sprouts that immediately set about flowering. It's been a tug of war and the basil is becoming a bonsai with lots of new shoots and divisions, all of which really just want to flower. What should I do with it?
Plant new seeds in a new pot. I been pro active about that this year and I do like the concept. Every 2-3 weeks plant new seeds in new pots and by the time they start becoming flowery, the new pot is doing well. Plants only can last so long so by re seeding you'll have good plant through summer into Fall

Old 07-25-2023, 07:06 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:

The same reason you can’t stay a teenager for the duration of your life! No matter how short your mother trying to make you

Old 07-28-2023, 09:28 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I purposely let some basil flower because the bees are absolutely nuts for the flowers. And groundhogs don't like scented plants.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:09 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
OK. It was a new plant. It usually makes it through the season. But it's been an odd season, weather-wise.

Old 07-31-2023, 06:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I purposely let some basil flower because the bees are absolutely nuts for the flowers. And groundhogs don't like scented plants.
I do this too and later when seeds are formed goldfinches come to dine on them.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:49 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post

The same reason you can’t stay a teenager for the duration of your life! No matter how short your mother trying to make you
Haha. And the same as trying to make a tree into a bush, its gonna want to keep growing tall

Old 08-03-2023, 08:27 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Let it bloom. It will reseed itself and you won't have to buy a new plant next year. Harvest the leaves when you need basil and in the fall, harvest what's left and dry it for the winter. Why are you pinching the flowers off?

Old 03-18-2024, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 922 times
Dealing with a basil plant that's eager to flower can be quite the gardening challenge! It seems like your efforts to pinch off the flower growth are met with even more determination from your basil to bloom. While it's admirable that your plant is thriving, it can be frustrating when it's not behaving as expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden