Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 06:36 AM

83,506 posts, read 75,260,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You're trying to snow blow a whole half acre? No wonder you run outta battery. You need diesel power for that task.
Hahaha. I don't snowblow the yard. Battery only lasts 25-30 minutes, It's enough I need to get job done if its under 3 inches of snow. Anything more and I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting to get a charge. No way I'm buying another 2 batteries for backup. $2500 for the machines and batteries was my limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Okay so tell me what you got and why you picked it. .
Regarding the OP.... I got mine for 1 reason... because of the little maintenance needed plus curious. I semi regret it

Hope you find your answers. This is what I have

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2024, 07:47 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,324,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hahaha. I don't snowblow the yard. Battery only lasts 25-30 minutes, It's enough I need to get job done if its under 3 inches of snow. Anything more and I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting to get a charge. No way I'm buying another 2 batteries for backup. $2500 for the machines and batteries was my limit.

Regarding the OP.... I got mine for 1 reason... because of the little maintenance needed plus curious. I semi regret it

Hope you find your answers. This is what I have
I'm still looking. There are way too many choices out there so I'm taking my time. I don't want to have pickers remorse. Also, I already have a barn full of corded stuff. I'm old. I have a lot of stuff period. So, before I buy something new to add to this stuff, I usually ask myself do I really need this.

I don't need a trim mower or a snow blower. $2500 for the machines and batteries. The riding mower gets close enough that I don't need a trim mower. Got rid of the snow blower. I'm not mechanical so I have to pay to have stuff serviced. Its cheaper for me to pay someone to plow the driveway.

I see your battery only lasts 25-30 minutes. Most of the sites are listing average battery time as 90 mins. Im usually out there way more than that. Now Im starting to rethink. Do I really need that. Maybe I just need to add some more electrical outlets so I need as long cords for my existing corded stuff. And I just wont look at the fence row. I only see it when I mow over there.

Right now its kinda moot. I just blew a ton on roof repairs.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I see your battery only lasts 25-30 minutes. Most of the sites are listing average battery time as 90 mins.
My battery lasts 40 minutes mowing. Used to be 50.

The 90 minutes they are advertising is without bogging it down or on high output. If you're blowing leaves at full force there is NO WAY you're getting 90 minutes.

I can see the weed trimmer lasting an hour though since that doesn't require a lot of juice.

So it depends on the machine and the task and the weather. Yup... I noticed my batteries last longer when temps are 60-70 vs 70-90F

Old 02-18-2024, 02:48 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,324,518 times
Quote:
My battery lasts 40 minutes mowing. Used to be 50.

The 90 minutes they are advertising is without bogging it down or on high output. If you're blowing leaves at full force there is NO WAY you're getting 90 minutes.

I can see the weed trimmer lasting an hour though since that doesn't require a lot of juice.

So it depends on the machine and the task and the weather. Yup... I noticed my batteries last longer when temps are 60-70 vs 70-90F
Thanks for the info. I hate to say this, but I think I'm talking myself out of it. Decisions. Decisions. Do I really need this, and do I already have something I can use. I'm seriously thinking about adding more outside outlets so I don't need as much cord. Its a PIA but I do have enough cord to reach the fence row. And thats the only place not close to an outlet. And I do have a gas weed eater and leaf blower I can use on the fence row. I just dont care for them.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,231,553 times
When it comes to which brand is 'best', be aware that most brands have partnership agreements. Ryobi has an exclusive partnership with Home Depot; Lowe's and Ace have partnership deals with Ego brand. These brands don't necessarily need any service from the retailer, but when it comes to building your tool collection, consider what stores are easiest for you to get to. That's probably the brand that will work best for you.

As for the battery power/life. ALL brands hype up the range. You know how car makers will say a car gets 32mpg highway miles yet you can never replicate that in real life? Well it's like that with battery tools. You can achieve the run time if you always run it under factory conditions--moderate ambient temperature, not cutting too much, continuous run time not stopping/starting, etc. Just as you accept that your car is more likely to get 26-8mpg, you should expect that your tools will likely perform at 50-75% of the published values.

Many people on many forums have reported noticing issues with batteries exposed to extreme temperatures. The best conclusion you can make from this is to NOT leave your tools in an unheated garage or shed year-round. Charge them indoors (following general safety guidelines for batteries) and store them fully charged. Like all batteries, these batteries will loose efficiency over time, but these steps will extend their life.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:18 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
1/2 acre. The snowblower with 2 7.5Ah lasts only 25-30 minutes and thats trying to conserve not using "Turbo" mode.

The lawn mower with 1 7.5Ah battery lasts 35-40 minutes. Used to last 50 minutes 4 yrs ago.

When the mower battery dies I can easily swap with the other battery and keep going, but one time I forgot to charge both and I ended up twiddling my thumbs

Not worth the expense...yet.
I mow less that 1/2 acre for sure, so I'm generally good (unless the grass got tall). I can swap out batteries and I keep them charged. My 'back yard' is the largest piece.

Personally it beats adding gas and oil and doing tune ups any day of the week. Even if I have to take a 30 minute break, it still beats the time spent on annual maintenance for a gasser.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:04 PM

5,877 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I have Ryobi tools. Since I had a weed wacker in 18V and a snow blower in 40V (those are the only options available for those tools), I could go either way on the lawn mower and leaf blower. I went with 18V for both.
I have the Ryobi as well, since the batteries work in the drills, etc as well. If I was starting from scratch for yard equipment, I would probably go with Stihl. They didn't make battery operated devices when I was buying, so I have Stihl gas equipment.

Old 02-23-2024, 03:29 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,237,901 times
I had Ryobi...lawn mower and leaf blower, trimmer and they worked fine.
Loved that I didn't have to add gas or the gas mixture or deal with clogged up machinery.

But they do eat up batteries. But my power tools are all Ryobi so I had a few batteries and no issues.

Old 02-23-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Personally it beats adding gas and oil and doing tune ups any day of the week. Even if I have to take a 30 minute break, it still beats the time spent on annual maintenance for a gasser.
Definitely agree but one huge drawback is not being able to mow a dewy lawn or worrying about a drizzle. That puts stress on my schedule. I have to find the perfect time to mow

The battery swap isn't a big deal breaker for me since I sometimes would have to stop and fill up the gas tank anyway...

Old 02-23-2024, 03:49 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Definitely agree but one huge drawback is not being able to mow a dewy lawn or worrying about a drizzle. That puts stress on my schedule. I have to find the perfect time to mow

The battery swap isn't a big deal breaker for me since I sometimes would have to stop and fill up the gas tank anyway...
I don't mow wet grass period. Too much cleaning and plus I bag most the clippings so wet is a definite no-no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden