Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2024, 02:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,008,169 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am in NE Florida and I am putting down new St Augustine sod down in a few days. Only about 25-30 square feet. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they sell fertilizer or something similar that I can apply to this new patch without having to buy a bag that covers 10,000+ square feet. Again, it is only about 25 square feet that I am laying down and I want to make sure it succeeds in growing.

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 03:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 12,141,672 times
You're buying sod? Just put some good dirt under it and keep it watered. Grass is easy if it gets enough water.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:02 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Hi, I am in NE Florida and I am putting down new St Augustine sod down in a few days. Only about 25-30 square feet. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they sell fertilizer or something similar that I can apply to this new patch without having to buy a bag that covers 10,000+ square feet. Again, it is only about 25 square feet that I am laying down and I want to make sure it succeeds in growing.

Thank you all
There are ways to create your own DIY fertilizer. When you buy prepared commercial bags, in many ways you're paying for convenience. Instead of buying a bag of "prepared" fertilizer you could collect or buy enough of the basic components that would cover your particular patch of grass, mix them up for yourself, and apply. The basics for such a small patch probably won't cost much.

https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/law...uarium%20Water

Agree that laying down a good base for the sod will get everything off to a good start. If you don't lay anything down on the dirt that's already there, test that soil first so you know what's missing or how it could be balanced to support the type of grass sod you plan to put over it. Is it acidic? Alkaline? Unusually high or low in one mineral or another? Also remember that soil will eventually give up its nutrients to the plants growing in it and become depleted unless it gets augmented periodically.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-29-2024 at 04:24 PM..

Old 02-29-2024, 06:43 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,406,752 times
Consult your ag university! This article has info in putting in St. Augustine sod. https://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/hort...rida-Lawns.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden