Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 04:33 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I grew up in the 1950's, and remember the biggest complaint on push mowers was keeping the blades sharp. It was hard to find some who knew how to do the sharpening.
It's stupid simple on the Scott's. Little hand crank and some lapping compound, remove the left wheel and basically set the blades slightly tight to the cutting bar and run the mower in reverse with the crank for about 10 minutes or less and you get a razor sharp mower again. It's easier that removing blades and sharpening a a powered mower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKp5HuPOeik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2024, 05:55 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
I grew up in the 1950's, and remember the biggest complaint on push mowers was keeping the blades sharp. It was hard to find some who knew how to do the sharpening.
A reel mower gives by far the best quality cut, on the proper type of grass (one that likes short mowing, like Bermuda or zoysia) but they're indeed hard to keep adjusted and sharp. They work like scissors and literally shear the grass blades instead of just using basically kinetic energy like a rotary mower does. I've used a human-powered reel mower before, but it's hard to do unless you're really young, so a power reel is best - and most expensive. It's what golf courses use on their fairways and greens.

One way of sharpening is to use valve grinding compound and "backlap", meaning to turn the reel backward. I started to buy a powered reel for my zoysia lawn but decided against it, so just bought a Honda rotary and live with the lower quality cut.

Occasional clipping like the OP detailed is practical; pushing that thing around all summer isn't.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:47 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Quote:
I had a mechanic tell me something to use to sharpen the blades on one of those old mowers. He said, wen he used one of these, he went to the auto parts shop and bought some valve grinding compound. Put some on the plate the blades hit and lower the blade some while turning it.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:49 AM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times
We have a reel mower that I think we bought on sale for about $25 at Lowe's 15 years ago. We only use it for the backyard around the pool because there's not much grass, and even then only when we are having a party between the weeks we have our lawn guys come in. They only weed-eat and blow back there.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:41 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
They seem like they would work, and actually feel nice to push, but the one we got for our un-graded yard and would snag if it met a weed or twig. Tried giving it to the neighbors but they didn't want it.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:49 AM

6,028 posts, read 2,846,987 times
It's the most green option for cutting lawns. No gasoline/oil and no lithium-ion batteries.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I had a mechanic tell me something to use to sharpen the blades on one of those old mowers. He said, wen he used one of these, he went to the auto parts shop and bought some valve grinding compound. Put some on the plate the blades hit and lower the blade some while turning it.
That's how we did it on ours when I was a kid in the 1960s. You just have to be careful with your fingers down there applying it.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:00 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
They seem like they would work, and actually feel nice to push, but the one we got for our un-graded yard and would snag if it met a weed or twig. Tried giving it to the neighbors but they didn't want it.
It's not for everything. But I figured out that when you get a jam, just reach down with your foot and rotate the blade assembly backwards to clear it. That said I sure wouldn't want to try to use this thing on foot-high grass. It's obvious from the start that you want to be on a fairly flat lawn and keep it trimmed frequently, for sure.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:18 AM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
It's not for everything. But I figured out that when you get a jam, just reach down with your foot and rotate the blade assembly backwards to clear it. That said I sure wouldn't want to try to use this thing on foot-high grass. It's obvious from the start that you want to be on a fairly flat lawn and keep it trimmed frequently, for sure.
I definitely had to walk the yard and toss pine cones and any sticks/twigs, and yes- not good for overgrown lawns. For the stalks of field grass poking up? I usually ran over it twice and it would cut. Or get them from the opposite direction on a return pass.

I do like the peace and solitude of using one.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM

1,914 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
would snag if it met a weed or twig

This is a good point. You can be moving right along, and suddenly come to a jarring stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden