Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2024, 03:14 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times

Advertisements

2023 thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gard...23-garden.html

The containerized maypop passionflower I'm keeping in a south facing window sprung a new vine out of the ground in January, and now it already had its first flower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 02:24 PM

Got a few more flowers.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:08 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Looking forward to a new season with you.

Old 04-02-2024, 03:03 PM

Trying to pick out perennials for the garden.

I already have perennial onions (welsh onions, walking onions), caucasian mountain spinach, strawberries, raspberries, figs, yacon, passionflowers, lovage, sorrel, mint, oregano, thyme, sage, tarragon, chives and rhubarb, as well as some peppers that I overwinter.

I got seems I'm starting for perennial shallots, earth chestnut, asparagus, skirret and perennial (hardy to zone 4) ground cherry. I also have some pawpaws I grew from seed in containers that I'll plant this year. Also gonna try growing mushrooms in woodchip mulch and in logs which I guess count as perennials (but not plants).

I'm planning on buying hardy kiwi, American persimmon, haskap and currants from the local nursery. Maybe concord grapes too. I'm also thinking of stone fruits or pears (American or Asian), but not sure how they'd fare against plum cucurlio, late frosts and pesky squirrels and birds - anyone have experience with those in the Great Lakes/Northeast (I'm zone 5)?

Old 04-03-2024, 11:28 AM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I had to look it up. Ground Cherry = Tomatillo. Earth Chestnut I am not familiar with. Just a little bit green eyed as in Oklahoma, USA most of this list will not grow.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I had to look it up. Ground Cherry = Tomatillo. Earth Chestnut I am not familiar with. Just a little bit green eyed as in Oklahoma, USA most of this list will not grow.
Earth chestnut (conopodium majus) is a novelty that I'm not sure if it will work out here since it's slow growing and only hardy to zone 6. It's in the carrot/parsnip/celery/parsley family and produces a small round edible root.

Ground cherry and tomatillo are similar but still not the same. Both are in the physallis genus, but grouncherry is smaller, yellow, and sweeter and more fruity tasting.

Longleaf groundcherry is native to much of the eastern US, including Oklahoma.

I bought several types of physallis seeds from the same guy, and will also growing some I had from prior years

physalis longifolia (Longleaf groundcherry) - winter hardy to zone 4, so hopefully a perennial here
physalis pruinoisa (Aunt Molly's groundcherry)
physalis peruviana (Cape gooseberry) - very different from the ribes gooseberry
physalis alkekengi (Chinese lantern) - winter hardy to zone 6 so might try overwintering in my garage since I'm zone 5
physalis ixocarpa (Tomatillo), I have a green/purple, and a yellow variety

I also got a bunch of edible solanum berries (well, edible when ripe)

solanum alatum (sweet amber pearls)
solanum villosum (golden pearls)
solanum retroflexum (sunberry)
solanum caripense (tzimbalo aka melon pear)
solanum laciniatum (kangaroo apple)

And another type of edible night shade called jaltomato (one purple and one green species)

And also some wild tomatoes, currant tomatoes (solanum pimpinellifolium) and galapagos tomato (solanum lycopersicon cheesmanii).

Old 04-04-2024, 10:36 AM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Thank you for this information Memph.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:08 AM

Figs are starting to wake up in the garage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden