Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

This may or may not be helpful, but we had some success hanging old CD's from trees when we planted grass. They really move and shine and kept the birds off the seeds splendidly. I do not know what they would do for a long time - for tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
I have gardened for over 50 years ( I am 75) and I never saw or heard if birds eating the leaves of plants. Crows will pull up newly sprouted corn. Bugs eat holes in leaves and birds eat the bugs. Some types of birds will peck holes in fresh fruits, including tomatoes, but it is usually not a problem in a vegetable garden. Birds are a problem if you are growing small fruits, like blackberries, cherries, strawberries, and blueberries. There is netting you can get for that problem.

Tomato worms eat both the leaves and the fruit. They will totally strip the leaves from a plant in a very short time. Blister beetles can denude a plant overnight. They are the worst at that, that I have ever seen ! ( They are called 'blister beetles' because they cause blisters on your skin if you get them on you. An entire swarm will come when you least expect them. A google search will bring up all you need to know about them, and about tomato worms, and how beneficial birds are in the vegetable garden.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I have gardened for over 50 years ( I am 75) and I never saw or heard if birds eating the leaves of plants. Crows will pull up newly sprouted corn. Bugs eat holes in leaves and birds eat the bugs. Some types of birds will peck holes in fresh fruits, including tomatoes, but it is usually not a problem in a vegetable garden. Birds are a problem if you are growing small fruits, like blackberries, cherries, strawberries, and blueberries. There is netting you can get for that problem.

Tomato worms eat both the leaves and the fruit. They will totally strip the leaves from a plant in a very short time. Blister beetles can denude a plant overnight. They are the worst at that, that I have ever seen ! ( They are called 'blister beetles' because they cause blisters on your skin if you get them on you. An entire swarm will come when you least expect them. A google search will bring up all you need to know about them, and about tomato worms, and how beneficial birds are in the vegetable garden.
I agree with you totally, but don't want to argue with another person's experience. Again, for the best advice look up cooperative extension for whatever state you are in and ask about things if you are in doubt. They will either help you or research and call you back. At least they do over here.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,933 times
I have had birds scratch for bugs and cut thru a vine or two like melons, but I also haven't had much of a problem with caterpillars and I think they may help with that. I lost one cantelope plant last year and this year one melon. I'm not ready to kill them just yet, one, sometimes their interesting to watch and two, I'm pretty sure they do eat cut worms and such. The brown thrasher is the culprit in my garden, right now their are two babies and a momma. If more plants get scratched up I'll use 22 shorts but so far they probably do more good than harm.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:23 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Birds will sometimes pull out freshly sprouted seedlings but you probably have either a bug or rabbit/groundhog problem.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Birds will sometimes pull out freshly sprouted seedlings but you probably have either a bug or rabbit/groundhog problem.
Yeah. Or slugs or snails.

One day I put a small bowl with a little beer in it, burying it at ground level. The next morning I found an amazing number of slugs dead in the bowl. Ugh!

The birds could be there going after the insects, actually helping out.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I forgot slugs, living where I do I don't know how that happened.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,389 times
I am a reident in a nursing home that has Peacocks roaming the grounds. Recently I planted a row of panseys about 10 ft long. In a few hours I saw a peahen grazing down the row plucking the blossoms. At the end, she turned around and went back cleaning up the follage. The next day she was back digging up the roots!
We need the peacoks for other residents to enjoy but also need a deterrent to prevent them from eating the flowers. $45.00 worth of flowers in just a few hours is cost prohibitive!
Any Suggestions other than a shotgun? Royeastes@aol.com

Old 12-03-2011, 05:35 PM

50,365 posts, read 63,948,892 times
That must be very frustrating to watch the peacocks eat your flowers, but I must admit I would enjoy feeding the peacocks. Perhaps you could provide them a source of fresh greens, or whatever they like, so they would avoid your flowers next time?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM

A peashooter would replace nitrogen in the soil, discourage the birds, and increase your lung capacity.

Just joking, but I hear that those birds can be nasty. Why not petition to just get rid of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden