Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 06:26 PM

306 posts, read 901,252 times

Advertisements

I have never attempted a real garden before. I've done flower pots but that's all. I moved into a new house and the flower beds are a MESS. They are filled with weeds and I don't really know where to begin. Can anyone help me? Please?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM

44,654 posts, read 61,707,500 times
This site may be helpful to you...http://home.families.com/blog/10-tip...inner-gardener
Remember to start slow and grow from there.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,140,144 times
Just dont start pulling things out until you get someone to tell you what it is. My biggest fear of moving someday is driving by my old house and seeing my garden gone. Of course you need to make it your own but you may find you have some great plants that you can use. Thats just a tid bit from me...I've seen it happen too many times...GOOD LUCK, gardening is the best way to clear my head and watching the things I planted grow is an added benefit!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:22 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,715,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Just dont start pulling things out until you get someone to tell you what it is. My biggest fear of moving someday is driving by my old house and seeing my garden gone. Of course you need to make it your own but you may find you have some great plants that you can use. Thats just a tid bit from me...I've seen it happen too many times...GOOD LUCK, gardening is the best way to clear my head and watching the things I planted grow is an added benefit!
What great advice! I had to wait an entire season before I could start on the beds when we moved in, because things bloom at different times and I didn't want to destroy anything I didn't recognize. It took patience, but was worth the wait.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,282,507 times
the new owners of our house pulled out all my rose bushes and it depressed me =(
tell u a area or location and we can kinda tell you what should be blooming right now.

you can always trim back, pull weeds or overgrown grass to clean things up until you know whats in there

Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 AM

306 posts, read 901,252 times
Thank you all for the great advice. I have been in my house a year, but am just getting to the yard b/c of other stuff I wanted to do in the house taking my time and $$. I do have hundreds (literally) of bulbs in my backyard-such a lovely surprise this spring! But there isn't anything in the flower beds that has looked remotely like it might be something I want to keep. I did a little bit of digging around and there is plastic under the soil. There is soil, what appears to be very old mulch, sticks, and small rocks (larger than pebbles). Any tips? I live in WV which is zone 6a (I looked it up) and I would like to plant some flowers so that I can enjoy my yard at least a little bit this summer.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,715,505 times
If you can be patient for color, plant some perennials. They will reward you handsomely next year! The best thing I did last year was put in perennials. They doubled in size this year and are beautiful. I'll have to divide some this fall, I think.

There are still a lot of blooming perennials available even this late into the summer. Just be mindful of their watering requirements during the hot spells, and you should do fine.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,738,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
the new owners of our house pulled out all my rose bushes
Heathens!

I sold a house couple of years ago. I had planted dozens of antique roses in the front yard that cost me a bunch, babied them shamefully. Drove by and the new owners had tethered a cow in the front yard! In_my_roses. A cow.

Some people have no conscience.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,140,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Heathens!

I sold a house couple of years ago. I had planted dozens of antique roses in the front yard that cost me a bunch, babied them shamefully. Drove by and the new owners had tethered a cow in the front yard! In_my_roses. A cow.

Some people have no conscience.
Oh god, that is what I dread! When we bought this place it was a rental for at least 75 years...it had nothing in the front yard but grass up to the base of the house. Not one shrub..there were some things on the side of the house a tenant planted but not much worth anything. A lot of hard work and money has gone into this yard...solely by me and my hands. SO..maybe I will just dig up all my stuff and take it with me whenever we move.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:07 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,228,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post

Oh so true!! My house was an estate property and the elderly owner had not been able to care for what were obviously once well groomed gardens in a while. I had to clear out a lot of stuff that I could recognize as weeds...then wait. It was well worth it. I hated being so patient as gardening is the reason I bought a house. Once I got the "lay of the land" I was able to rearrange things to my liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden