Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM

703 posts, read 2,942,970 times

Advertisements

This is an edible vegetable mainly cooked via stir-fry in asian dishes. It is exceptionally delicious when properly stir-fried. The plant is considered a 'noxious species' by the USDA due to its ability to rapidly grow (close to 4 inches a day) and expand in most environment. I believe it may be banned in Florida and partially banned in Texas (except in cases of cultivation for personal consumption). My question, which I can't seem to find an answer to, is what exactly is the legal status of this in Maryland? I would love to grow this veggie in planting boxes and pots on my balcony rather than paying $11-12 per plate at Chinese/Thai restaurants (Maryland/DC/Philly). Is there an actual source for these seeds (again, for personal consumption to be cultivated in planting pots and boxes on my balcony) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 05:19 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
I would call your local extension office to see if it is on the invasive plant list for the area.

If it is not they may even have a source for the seeds

Old 12-02-2008, 05:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
Contact the MD dept of natural resources. As a person who spent quite a bit of time trying to help eradicate invasive species from some of my state's natural areas, I say don't do it. Even if the plant is not on the list for some reason, why grow a plant that could threaten our natural areas? I know, you like it But, why not grow another plant?

There are lots of really great plants that are edible and indigenous to our area. I think you might like cattail. It's being threatened by a poisonous non-native grass and used to be seen everywhere. It likes damp areas an is also edible. It has a really cool history as a food for the native Americans and early settlers. It may be a challenge to grow at home, but I think you would like it and enjoy the tasty shoots.

You can contact the DNR here:
Invasive & Exotic Species of Maryland (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/invintro.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden