Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times

Advertisements

It's been beautiful the last few days here in Raleigh, NC. While I was doing yard work, I came across this hole in the ground. I cannot for the life of me identify what is making this hole in the ground. My first thought was a chipmunk, but I have never seen them in my yard or even in Raleigh. Does anyone have any idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Help me identify what this is?-creaturehole.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM

95 posts, read 244,985 times
It could indeed be a chipmunk. Are there 2 other holes nearby (6 feet) that one?

How high is the dirt piled around it? Might be a rat hole. Is it wide?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
It's been beautiful the last few days here in Raleigh, NC. While I was doing yard work, I came across this hole in the ground. I cannot for the life of me identify what is making this hole in the ground. My first thought was a chipmunk, but I have never seen them in my yard or even in Raleigh. Does anyone have any idea?
I am no expert but just in case, this is a burrowing owl. endangered species. They are very small so this photo is misleading. they are about 10 inches tall about 6oz in weight for both male and female. Please look into, I added a link below photo.

Burrowing Owl - Defenders of Wildlife

Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
^^^^
Oh my gosh, those are adorable! I want one.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
it looks to big to be a mole hole, it could be a chipmunk, ive seen there holes get that big or bigger before. by the way im jealous your grass is already green, ours is still brown for the most part here in kentucky.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
Hmm.. thanks for the replies so far. There is no other hole than what you see- at least that I have found. No back door so to speak. I have plenty of moles/voles and it isn't the same type hole.. it appears there is no tunnel (from what I can tell). I've been doing a little research and I think it may be a rabbit hole/den. I understand they are not large and they sometimes pick odd places (right in the middle of grassy area in backyard). I do have rabbits so I'll see if they start putting fur around it as well. Just noticed it. I wish it was a burrowing owl. I think we are just not in an area where that occurs and I have never heard any noises they make.

http://worldpeacewetlandprairie.blogspot.com/2008/05/rabbit-nests-difficult-to-spot.html (this is a link about rabbits)

Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Hmm.. thanks for the replies so far. There is no other hole than what you see- at least that I have found. No back door so to speak. I have plenty of moles/voles and it isn't the same type hole.. it appears there is no tunnel (from what I can tell). I've been doing a little research and I think it may be a rabbit hole/den. I understand they are not large and they sometimes pick odd places (right in the middle of grassy area in backyard). I do have rabbits so I'll see if they start putting fur around it as well. Just noticed it. I wish it was a burrowing owl. I think we are just not in an area where that occurs and I have never heard any noises they make.

http://worldpeacewetlandprairie.blogspot.com/2008/05/rabbit-nests-difficult-to-spot.html (this is a link about rabbits)
I wish it was an owl as well. Endanger species need a step up in life. but I love rabbits! most gardeners don't like them but I do. ok I am odd. that owl is soo cute didn't know an owl would be so small and burrow a home. odd to me. but soo cute.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
I too love rabbits, but i find the 'nest' more than burrow. It's more like a bowl in the ground, say, under some plant or foliage ... not a literal hole/tunnel in the ground.... at least that is the way it is in my area.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:38 PM

43 posts, read 305,463 times
I would gladly trade my moles, voles, and chipmunks for an owl! So cute!

In my yard, the rabbits dig their nests during the summer for their young. But I haven't been able to find their burrow (assuming they have a year-round larger one?). The nests are quite shallow and the dirt piles aren't nearly as large as the one in the photo.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:01 PM

34 posts, read 112,982 times
Does it look like a volcano? Then it could be a pocket gopher (don't know if you have them in NC). If there's a string of mounds, it's probably a mole. And since your lawn looks so delicious, I'll bet that's what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden