Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,660 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else plant by the moon? I always have & have always had the best luck when I stick to it,according to the Old Farmer's Almanac & etc.
For those unfamiliar w/ the method,a few examples I googled real quick:

Lunar Planting Gardening By The Phases of the Moon Lunar Phases Calendar Moon Phases Gardening Lunar Planting
Astrological Signs of the Zodiac Fertile Signs for Planting Best Signs for Planting Gardening by the Moon

I also seem to get the bast hatches of my poultry following the same idea.Superstition? Maybe. But works for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,153,431 times
It's not superstition. It's science. Water rises during certain phases of the moon. Scorpio and Pisces are the best signs to plant under. I just use the Farmer's Almanac table to decide when to plant seeds or when to plant seedlings into the garden. My dad has used it for years. His mother taught him.

Farmers' Almanac Gardening Calendar

You can also use it to decide when to quit smoking, cut your hair, and wax wooden floors.

A Month of Best Days from the Farmers' Almanac

Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,660 times
Thanks for the links Paperhouse! My dialup had trouble w/ the Almanac site the other day when I tried looking for planting info there.
Wish I could find a good online calender,w/ all the signs & phases,as I keep misplacing my Almanac!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:32 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
yes i do. but thats the way my folks and their folks taught them. you also prune and transplant in certain phases of the moon.

i dont know if it makes a difference, but my garden is often the most admired on the street...

Old 03-23-2009, 05:59 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,684,518 times
I absolutely plant by the moon; especially root crops. Even dig postholes by the moon.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Thanks for the links Paperhouse! My dialup had trouble w/ the Almanac site the other day when I tried looking for planting info there.
Wish I could find a good online calender,w/ all the signs & phases,as I keep misplacing my Almanac!
I have an online calculator. You can put in the date and it tells you the moon sign.

Moon Phase Calculator - Moon Sign Calendar

Old 03-25-2009, 12:02 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
It's not superstition. It's science. Water rises during certain phases of the moon. Scorpio and Pisces are the best signs to plant under. I just use the Farmer's Almanac table to decide when to plant seeds or when to plant seedlings into the garden. My dad has used it for years. His mother taught him.

Farmers' Almanac Gardening Calendar

You can also use it to decide when to quit smoking, cut your hair, and wax wooden floors.

A Month of Best Days from the Farmers' Almanac
I was going to say what you already have. It's a science, works for hair, etc. Plant your seeds when the moon is in a barren sign like Capricorn and results may not be so good. Use the fertile signs like Scorpio, Pisces and probably Cancer for best results.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
sounds like a fun idea to try. But I'm not good with calculators. Could somebody maybe leave a note here whenever it happens to be a good day to plant or prune? Then we could all try it together and compare results.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
sounds like a fun idea to try. But I'm not good with calculators. Could somebody maybe leave a note here whenever it happens to be a good day to plant or prune? Then we could all try it together and compare results.
Today and tomorrow are the best days for root crops. The 29-30 are best for starting seeds that bear fruit and flowers above ground.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Thank you, paper house. This could be a good Easter project to do with the kids, plant the seeds Easter Sunday and then transplant them by the light of the moon at the end of the month. Do you have to actually plant at night, or any time of day? We live near Washington D.C. if that makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden