Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,016,667 times

Advertisements

As long as it's not venomous like a rattler, it's a good thing. Snakes eat insects, small birds, and rodents...all depending on the size of the snake. The snake's dinner choices are usually the ones that will make a meal of your garden!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:41 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
As long as it's not venomous like a rattler, it's a good thing. Snakes eat insects, small birds, and rodents...all depending on the size of the snake. The snake's dinner choices are usually the ones that will make a meal of your garden!
Problem with ours was we didn't get a good look at it before he tried to get away.. first under a lawn mower, then behind major boxes. I couldn't have a snake down there not knowing where it was.. I have kids.

My hubby thinks he may have ID'd ours last night with the site that was posted but he's still not sure.

We thought it was a garden snake but he said it looked more like a rat snake.

So far I haven't seen any in the garden, I have seen them in the back yard under leaves. It's to the point where I'm almost afraid to work in the garden because I have no clue what types of snakes we have.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Problem with ours was we didn't get a good look at it before he tried to get away.. first under a lawn mower, then behind major boxes. I couldn't have a snake down there not knowing where it was.. I have kids.

My hubby thinks he may have ID'd ours last night with the site that was posted but he's still not sure.

We thought it was a garden snake but he said it looked more like a rat snake.

So far I haven't seen any in the garden, I have seen them in the back yard under leaves. It's to the point where I'm almost afraid to work in the garden because I have no clue what types of snakes we have.
Do you even HAVE any venomous snakes in NJ?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Do you even HAVE any venomous snakes in NJ?
I think we have copperheads; some poisonous snake that likes water.. other then that, I have no clue.

I hate snakes. They totally freak me out.
I can handle anything.. mice, various insects.. snakes.. no.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,717 times
A copperheads bite is very painful, but rarely deadly. Most often found near water in rocky outcroppings, I doubt that this snake would be in a garage unless you had a pond or waterway on your property. This is one of the rare snakes that will bite pretty quickly after warning you to stay away. Most water snakes are like that. Best to avoid snakes found near waterways.

The other snake that may be in your area that is a potential danger is the Timber Rattlesnake. But the snake will warn you that it is dangerous and only bite if you continue to threaten it by your presence (or as often happens, by poking it with a stick to make it rattle). Also, dead snakes can bite - there are reflexes that exist for a while after death and people have been bitten by dead snakes.

Most of the snakes are not only harmless, but are beneficial to the environment. For the most part if you go along noisily and give them a chance to escape, they'll go away from you. Rarely will they challenge you if they have an escape route. Best to let them get away from you and then continue on your merry way.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
We found a small snake yesterday in our garden, we are first year farmers and would like to know if this is a good or bad thing? Anyone else have snakes in their garden? Is it best to just scoot it out or leave it be? Thanks for any info.
Snakes eat the mice and bugs that eat your garden plants. Roll out the red carpet for that feller!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Interesting point. I have seen more snakes in my part of the world this year than I have ever seen before in a quarter century. I was rather attributing it to a virus which attacked the mongoose population (their prime predators) a year or so ago. Many less mongooses and way more snakes.

The snakes here are harmless grass snakes and I must have rescued a couple of dozen already from the cats which bring them in and play with them. I thought I had enough on my plate but Snake-Saver has been added to the list!

Brrrrr .. chills and heebie jeebies, lol.

I've heard of cats bringing in mice and rats or pieces of, which would freak me out, .. especially waking up to a rat head on your pillow as a gift ..

.. but snakes?!!! yikes!

Gee, after reading the posts on this thread, I'll be thinking twice when complaining about measly little slugs .. well some aren't so measly.

but selfishly thankful that we don't live in snake country. If so, I might have to re-think the garden bit ..

I'm not sure I could get used to sharing my garden with snakes. Kudos to all you brave ones out there!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
A copperheads bite is very painful, but rarely deadly. Most often found near water in rocky outcroppings, I doubt that this snake would be in a garage unless you had a pond or waterway on your property. This is one of the rare snakes that will bite pretty quickly after warning you to stay away. Most water snakes are like that. Best to avoid snakes found near waterways.

The other snake that may be in your area that is a potential danger is the Timber Rattlesnake. But the snake will warn you that it is dangerous and only bite if you continue to threaten it by your presence (or as often happens, by poking it with a stick to make it rattle). Also, dead snakes can bite - there are reflexes that exist for a while after death and people have been bitten by dead snakes.

Most of the snakes are not only harmless, but are beneficial to the environment. For the most part if you go along noisily and give them a chance to escape, they'll go away from you. Rarely will they challenge you if they have an escape route. Best to let them get away from you and then continue on your merry way.
I don't know if we have copperheads where I'm at now but we do have water and are in a newish development where all of the wildlife is going nuts due to the building. I feel so bad for them; we have skunks in the yard, turtles, deer.

The thing about snakes is I don't know enough about them and after being "chased" by a copperhead when i was little (10-12) I'm still petrified of any snake. The copperhead moved very fast.

We have small rabbits that are eating my tender roses.. I would rather that huge snake been outside in the garden then my basement. It wouldn't have been so bad had the 100 or so boxes been unpacked from our move.. there's too many places for them to hide down there and with my daughter going into her containers, I can't risk her getting bit if it is poisonous.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
...The thing about snakes is I don't know enough about them ...
I think this is true for most people. For lots of topics.

For example, I used to be freaked out by bats. So to get over my fear and distrust, I educated myself about them, even going to zoos and places to see them. I now have a great respect for them and welcome them into my yard. I still don't really want to touch one, but I'm ok with that and how far I've come. You may want to go to the enature.com site, put in your zip code and learn about the snakes that are native to your locale. Perhaps having the confidence of identifing which are potentially dangerous and which are not, you'll be more comfortable co-existing with the snakes around your home. Education is powerful.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I think this is true for most people. For lots of topics.

For example, I used to be freaked out by bats. So to get over my fear and distrust, I educated myself about them, even going to zoos and places to see them. I now have a great respect for them and welcome them into my yard. I still don't really want to touch one, but I'm ok with that and how far I've come. You may want to go to the enature.com site, put in your zip code and learn about the snakes that are native to your locale. Perhaps having the confidence of identifing which are potentially dangerous and which are not, you'll be more comfortable co-existing with the snakes around your home. Education is powerful.
It's what I'm going to do.
I can live with them in my garden as long as I know they won't hurt me.

I've had 2 down there, the 1st one was a 12 inch baby, no problem getting him into a container & putting him back in the woods. I tried to do the same for this large guy but couldn't catch him with the rubbermade container.

Funny how I'm the only one that actually sees them. I went outside to get a pot one day, moved the pots and one was under them. My hubby works out there all the time and has yet to see one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden