Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 04:38 PM

158 posts, read 493,425 times

Advertisements

Well.. From the title you can probably make an educated guess that i am not blessed with green fingers...

I really dont know alot about gardening and my garden is quite overgrown with what estate agents would describe as "mature gardens" meaning years of neglect and over taken my plants!

Now.. I want to sort my garden out and eliminate the weeds.. Problem is the plants or weeds are so big I just dont know what weeds look like from other plants..

So need some help here.. Can anybody post loads of pictures of weeds up on here for me please?! Or atleast describe what weeds look like.. From large weeds to small ones...?!

Thank you everybody!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
maybe it would be easier and better if you post pictures of the plants your dealing with. it would be easier to tell what is a weed from what is not by pictures.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:00 PM

855 posts, read 2,396,856 times
Difficult without pictures as there are many different kinds of weeds with many different growth habits.

I did find this picture. It's not the greatest but you can make the names out and do a Google image search.

Fertilome Common Weeds In The Lawn (http://www.evergreenofjohnsoncity.com/Fertilome%20Consumer%20Guide%2018.htm - broken link)

Also, here's a site specific to the U.K.

Weed Information - Weed type - Organic Weed Management

If you don't mind doing some clicking you might be able to find some of them.

When you do get around to weeding, don't just yank them out as most will regenerate eventually. Pull slowly and firmly from as close to the ground as you can get or just dig them out to make sure you get all the roots. It helps if the soil is moist. If the ground is dry they'll hang on for dear life and as often as not you'll just pull out the stem.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
The definition of a weed = anything growing where you don't want it.
So you would be better off trying to find out what "good" plants you have. Call your county extension agent and ask him/her or a master gardener who needs to give back some of the 50 hours they promise to donate to the community in exchange for the course, to come out and identify all your shrubs, trees, perennials. I take it you didn't plant much yourself. Before you have anybody help you, get some good labels which will not fade in sunlight- don't use plastic cutlery with permanent ink-it fades too quickly. I bought some mail order years ago and can't remember. Then right then stick the label in the ground so next time you see something you are not sure of you will have a frame of reference. If you are in a home which has a mature landscape with shrubs and flowers and you didn't plant any of them, you might have some real treasures and don't know it. Some local garden clubs help folks in exchange for divisions, etc. It is worth a try. You will never be able to identify weeds from pictures as they look different in different stages of life.
You might take a few - roots wrapped in paper towels and stuck in baggies to a really good nursery person to help you identify them. then go home and pull only those which you know for a fact are weeds. This time of year, it's a good bet that anything tiny is probably a weed unless you threw out some seeds.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:12 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
You will never be able to distinguish weeds from non weeds by using generic criteria. You need to know the specific forms of weeds and just pull them out as you see them. Like others have said it would be much easier for you to post pictures of what you think are weeds in your yard so we can identify them.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
A weed is something that you don't want growing with plants that you do want. It is your decision. An orchid growing in a corn field is a weed.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
If they grow and blossom along the road side, they are called wildflowers. Then, when they are finished blooming, they become weeds.

Weeds seldom come back from the roots every year. They usually come from self-seeding. If they stay big over the winter, and sprout out with new foliage in the spring, they are probably just overgrown garden plants. BUT if you don't like them, or don't want them, get rid of them.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
A weed is just a plant that YOU don't want in your garden or yard. If you like how it looks, keep it. If you don't like it, then it's a weed.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
The best thing to do is put down PREEN early spring, late winter, well anytime something can germinate. It keeps weeds from getting started in the first place. Don't try to grow anything from seed in that same bed for at least 3 or 4 months.
I've had many many years of gardening experience and a horticultre degree and I still can't identify weeds by name but I usually can tell the difference in seedlings I want and weed seeds., It just takes experience and training your eyes and sometimes your hands so you don't rip up something you'll later regret.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:08 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
I agree with a previous post. A weed to one person is a delight to another. Clear it out and start over. That's the only way you'll know what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden