Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times

Advertisements

I have been living in a house we bought 6 months ago. The original owner had it built in 1988. He installed the sprinkler system himself..it's a great system. He also mowed the lawn himself. When I moved in, I hired someone to do it since the price was right and I am too busy to mow it myself. Throughout the past 6 months, I have probably replaced 10-13 sprinkler heads. I tell him about it...and he says he is sorry and will try to be more careful. Last cut, I found 2 more broken heads. As you may know, replacing them is a pain in the butt...especially in 95 degree, 90% humidity weather like we have down here in south florida.

Just the other day, I got a letter from the landscaper telling me he sold his business and a new person would be handling my grass....same price and same cut schedule (every 7 days). I am seriousely considering cutting my lawn by myself. Most of my sprinkler heads are small pop up heads. You have to remember that the original owner 20 years ago designed the sprinkler system knowing he would cut using a push mower. I don't think he ever anticipated a large and heavy commercial riding mower would be cutting the grass....until I moved in of course. The heads are hidden underneath the grass and very hard to see. The pop up about an inch. I do NOT have donuts and don't really want to get them since I find them unattractive and I have about 10 heads on the front lawn alone....so it would look weird. I found this doing a search : SprinklerDonut - Sprinkler Saver - Best protection available for your Sprinkler Heads Looks awesome, but they are very expensive. Anyone have experience with these donuts ?

So it's either get these expensive sprinkler donut protectors and wonder if they work or start doing my lawn myself..which means buying a lawnmower, an edger and a weedeater which is expensive....plus spending my precious free time doing something I could be paying someone else to do.

So what does a guy do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
Cutting the lawn YOURSELF?!

Go on......

(Surely it's easier to complain about the slovenly hired help?)

Old 08-10-2009, 12:06 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,188 times
For cryin' out loud is this the worst thing you can think of to whine about?

Old 08-10-2009, 05:34 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Well, you can either keep replacing the sprinkler heads, put little raised flags on them for the landscaper, or fire him and do the lawn yourself. I'm a woman and do ours with a push mower, it's not that hard. We have an acre (although a lot of it is wooded), and much of the property slopes. Who knows, you may actually enjoy doing it. You might not like the cost of the mower etc. up front, but in the long run it's MUCH cheaper than paying someone else to do it. I do ours in the late afternoon or early evening, when it isn't quite so hot.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I found this doing a search : SprinklerDonut - Sprinkler Saver - Best protection available for your Sprinkler Heads Looks awesome, but they are very expensive. Anyone have experience with these donuts ?

So it's either get these expensive sprinkler donut protectors and wonder if they work or start doing my lawn myself..which means buying a lawnmower, an edger and a weedeater which is expensive....plus spending my precious free time doing something I could be paying someone else to do.

So what does a guy do ?
The Sprinkler Donut's you refered to are about $3 EACH. I don't think that is very expensive like you said. Maybe just buy a few for now and use them on the sprinklers that get busted the most. I'm sure your time and cost to replace those sprinklers are more than $3.00!

It's a one time deal, buy the donuts and keep the lawn mower service, or cancel the service and buy a mower and mow yourself.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
I work about 60 hours a week, so I'd rather pay someone. If you read the post carefully, you will see I am asking if anyone has actual personal experience with the sprinkler donut I am referring and left a link to. Grandmas cabin....If you don't have anything nice to say, shut your mouth.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Tell the new landscaper where they are and tell him if he breaks it he buys it. If he won't do that fire him and either find one that will or find a neighborhood kid with a decent IQ that wants to make some money.

It's either that or go out and mark them with flags every time they come to cut...

Old 08-10-2009, 09:23 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I'm with Tek_Freek on this one. If your lawn guy is breaking stuff it should be your lawn guy who is fixing it. Maybe once he would have gotten away with it, but after that he would be both buying and replacing broken parts.

Now, to answer your question. I have had similar things installed around my sprinkler heads. They do work, but if the head fails to retract when the system shuts off they don't help any.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I work 58 hours a week and I still mow my own lawn. Did it yesterday in 93* heat. Cut it yourself and you will have no one to blame then.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 28,695 times
Check out the new sprinkler buddy, it's user friendly. Got a pack of 7 for under 20. Great product!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden