Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

BROOKLINE, Mass., Sept. 26 (UPI) -- Massachusetts residents say they are under siege from this year's large crop of acorns as the hard nuts have been falling from trees like rain.

Acorns a growing threat in Massachusetts - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 04:01 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
And last year there weren't any. Nature balances out.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"Greg Roberson and Neil McIsaac of Brookline, Mass., said they routinely encounter the nuts as they fall from area oak trees, creating safety hazards while in the air and once on the ground, The Boston Globe reported Saturday."

Holy Global Warming Batman! If all the Acorn workers are falling out of trees, can you imagine the hospital bills? We have to do something to protect those poor nuts from people, I mean those poor people from nuts. Can you imagine all the safety hazards in the air from falling Boston Acorn nutcases? Poor little squirrels getting squished and calling out "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!" Lawyers having to work overtime both prosecuting and defending nuts. Prostetutes and pimps no longer having any access to Federal aid. Acorn suing for defamation because people are photographing their nuts in the act of being nutty. We have a disaster of epic proportions here!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:08 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Sounds like an organic problem to me. Maybe the trees OD on all the available fertilizer and just lost control.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,908,083 times
And I thought it was just my tree! I got whacked on the back the other day in my backyard- acorns falling from 20 or 25 ft high are like projectiles.

I can hear them pinging on the neighbor's metal garage roof- many more than last year.

Maybe the oak trees know something we don't........

Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
I remember a time out in the mountains in Western MD during the 80's when a similar acorn event was happening. It sounded like rain as you walked through the woods. That along with high pitched squeaking which turned out to be an equal abundance of chipmunks, perhaps celebrating their bounty. I know bears like fresh acorns, but luckily we didn't encounter any of the black bears common to that area

Old 09-27-2009, 02:51 PM

855 posts, read 2,396,856 times
Oaks typically don't start producing acorns until they're around 15-20 years old and their production increases with growth and age. Some oaks produce more acorns than others and the acorns from the red oak family take a lot longer to ripen/mature than those in the white oak group.

Their production varies year to year and on every so many years they'll produce a "bumper crop". It could be there are a bunch of trees up there producing large crops at the same time or just producing more as they age.

We have a red oak in our back yard and I've seen a wide range of acorn production cycles out of it over the years. Three years ago we had minor production, then two years ago we had the largest production out of it I've ever seen and last year it was nonexistent. This year it's been dropping a pretty fair amount of them but nothing out of the ordinary.

I have a chipper/shredder/vac that I McGuyvered a hose set up for and use that when there are too many to hassle with. A lot easier than trying to rake or blow them through the grass.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Pigs! Pigs LOVE acorns! Think of the happy pigs! Bring in pigs!

Seriously, this sounds like we are going to have a vicious winter - which is what I've been predicting for several months. When the acorns are bountiful, it usually means a bad winter. Our local climate here has been VERY unusual as well - we had several 65 deg days in June and July, and several late frosts, as well as HIGHLY unusual amounts of rain. People have been harvesting 3 and 4 times their normal hay quotient in the fields. To me, these are signs of a serious fluctuation.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:02 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Pigs! Pigs LOVE acorns! Think of the happy pigs! Bring in pigs!

Seriously, this sounds like we are going to have a vicious winter - which is what I've been predicting for several months. When the acorns are bountiful, it usually means a bad winter. Our local climate here has been VERY unusual as well - we had several 65 deg days in June and July, and several late frosts, as well as HIGHLY unusual amounts of rain. People have been harvesting 3 and 4 times their normal hay quotient in the fields. To me, these are signs of a serious fluctuation.
I agree. Here the early migrating ducks are earlier and I'm seeing more migratory geese earlier.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Yep, all the signs of a cold winter this year. We didn't have much of a summer either for that matter. I won't mind though, I like winter.

As for the acorns...it'll be good for the wildlife. Just watch out when you're under an oak tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden